My PC does not generate sound when movies played through WMP
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:56:42 pm »
I recently installed WIN 7 on my desktop and while i was playing a movie through Windows Media Player i tried to switch the windows which was open. Unexpectedly i pressed some buttons and now i cant hear a thing. but when i play with other players the sound works fine.
I might have hit a short cut to disable sound or something. i tried to sort it out but couldn't. anyone had a similar issue?

Great help  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:23:17 pm by Revolution »
Re: My PC does not generate sound when movies played through WMP
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:09:36 pm »
I recently installed WIN 7 on my desktop and while i was playing a movie through Windows Media Player i tried to switch the windows which was open. Unexpectedly i pressed some buttons and now i cant hear a thing. but when i play with other players the sound works fine.
I might have hit a short cut to disable sound or something. i tried to sort it out but couldn't. anyone had a similar issue?

Great help  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

check the MUTE tab is not pused right infront of the volume bar in the media player interface . its shown with a speaker icon if its turned on it will show a red mark infront of the speaker if so turn it off .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:22:32 pm by gka3000 »
Gave Up PC Gaming Long Time Ago - And Moved To

Sony PS4 Pro 1TB / VR Headset / 2 X Dual Shock 4 Wireless Controllers / Play Station Move / Play Station Camera / 55 Inch 4K Samsung Curved 3D Smart Tv / LG Curved Wireless Sound Bar With Wireless Sub Woofer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »
Thanks for the advice man. but thats not the case. i checked all volume controls. dont know why this is happening to windows media player.??  :( is there a setting to do with WMP?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 12:09:18 am »
Thanks for the advice man. but thats not the case. i checked all volume controls. dont know why this is happening to windows media player.??  :( is there a setting to do with WMP?

not really - u should try a system restore for an earlier date bro .

Sony PS4 Pro 1TB / VR Headset / 2 X Dual Shock 4 Wireless Controllers / Play Station Move / Play Station Camera / 55 Inch 4K Samsung Curved 3D Smart Tv / LG Curved Wireless Sound Bar With Wireless Sub Woofer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:34:27 am »
Try setting 4 de4lt!!!!!!! or Open WMP >> GO dat down speakers Volume controll Right click >>> Open Volume Mixer >>>> check whether dat WMP icon z muted!! :D :D (Y)

Offline SharinghaN

• Death Company
  • Fear The Wrath Of The SharinghaN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 08:51:05 am »
same problem :(
All i get is a crackling noise o.0

But winamp works fine

Gigabyte P2542G
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz-3.4GHz) | 8GB DDR3 1600 | NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M GDDR5 2GB | 128GB mSATA SSD + 750GB HDD 7200rpm + 1TB HDD 7200rpm
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:53:13 am »
Try setting 4 de4lt!!!!!!! or Open WMP >> GO dat down speakers Volume controll Right click >>> Open Volume Mixer >>>> check whether dat WMP icon z muted!! :D :D (Y)

its the same thing as controlling " mute and volume " from the media player interface it self bro .

same problem :(
All i get is a crackling noise o.0

But winamp works fine

why dont you both do a format and a fresh installation of windows and install drivers . maybe it will solve the problem .
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:55:28 am by gka3000 »

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:00 am »

why dont you both do a format and a fresh installation of windows and install drivers . maybe it will solve the problem .

Actually after two days i installed WIN7 after formatting it :(
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »
try changing options in media player. if other players are working alright. then theres no prob with ur sound. go to ur win mp options area and try to solve the prob.

this happened to me too when i was using win xp. long ago. but nw cant remember how i fixed it. :(

if u fail. alternately u can use vlc player. its interface aint that good. but it can play almost all the formats and movies with subtitle files. (Y)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:51:40 pm by wennappuwa_ »

Offline LeoN

• PnX-Gaming
  • Free Your Mind...
    • View Profile
    • Phoenix GaminG
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:40:27 pm »
I had that issue earlier when i plug my G35 headset....but later i figured out to fix the issue. It's bi complicated Revo....the better n quick solution now is to format the pc n install a fresh Win 7.

☜☆☞   ☬ Intel i7 4970K OC 4.8GHz @ 1.35V | MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC | 8GB G.Skill Sniper x 2 @ 2000Mhz | MSI GTX 780 TI | Seasonic X-850 | CM Seidon 120V P+P | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | Samsung 2TB F3 | Samsung BR DSH-B123 | Raven RV01 | Logitech G19 | Logitech G700 | Logitech Z-5500D | Logitech G930 | NZXT Sentry | Roccat Apuri | Samsung PX2370  ☜☆☞
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:00:24 am »
Yep, i tried looking for settings in WMP. or just use some other player :) Thanks guys for all your inputs.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 04:40:25 pm »
Get VLC Media player. it's free and you dont need to install additional media codecs. it comes with all the codecs needed to play almost all media formats.

download link :
Code: [Select]
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
and choose ur windows7 (Y)

Offline mumble

• Falsus Divertimento
  • Sir Psycho
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 05:38:55 pm »
its the same thing as controlling " mute and volume " from the media player interface it self bro .

What're you, nuts? Reinstall windows simply because WMP is muted? O_O

Check the volume mixer. Not the one that controls the balance and the volume of the different outputs, etc. Check the one which controls the volume of all opened programs. Like for example, I've muted xfire, all browsers except opera, etc, have my media players at low volume and games at full. You might have muted WMP. In vista you simply have to click mixer after you click on the volume icon in the taskbar. Not sure where it is in win7.

Get VLC Media player. it's free and you dont need to install additional media codecs. it comes with all the codecs needed to play almost all media formats.

download link :
Code: [Select]
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
and choose ur windows7 (Y)

I have VLC, as well as many others, but I deleted the codecs and installed the CCCP (It solved a problem which most probably was caused by conflicting codecs).
HE-MEN.Splendid
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 06:35:56 pm »
Yep, i tried looking for settings in WMP. or just use some other player :) Thanks guys for all your inputs.

IMPORTANT -

bro sorry i almost forgot a important thing maybe this is because of a codec problem so i suggest you take k lite codec pack full version and install it right away . (install all the codecs in the pack) ... this may solve ur problem ...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

good luck , remember get the full version and install ...  (Y)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:25:40 pm by gka3000 »

Codec Issue
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 06:47:57 pm »
Sounds to me like a codec issue. Windows Media player can play only a very limited number of video formats. Use VLC player or SMPlayer (which I use). These media players can handle almost all formats. This is most likely the reason why you don't hear any sound on WMP.