Offline Daelin

• Death Company
  • [DC] Ace Of Spades
    • View Profile
    • Death Company [DC]
Eve Online
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:17:58 pm »
Quick Summary

Eve is a massive multiplayer online (MMO) game set in a science-fiction based, persistent world. Players take the role of spaceship pilots seeking fame, fortune, and adventure in a huge, complex, exciting, and sometimes hostile galaxy.

The game is set in part of the universe that is currently unknown. The game world consists of about 5,000 solar systems. When EVE was released in May 2003, about half of these systems were available for exploration, enabling players to more easily establish "hot spots" - centralized locations for trade, commerce and combat – based on their activities. As the population in EVE grows, more systems are made available to avoid overcrowding.

Eve has a rich history and unique storyline created specifically for the game. The history, or "prime fiction," details the discovery of a natural wormhole that lead into an uncharted area of the universe. Gates were created to enable explorers to pass back and forth between the old and new worlds until the portal closed suddenly and violently, leaving the settlers cut off from the civilization of Earth’s galaxy.

Of the settlers that survived the hardship of this harsh environment, five nations rose to power, each taking on its own unique appearance, political and religious views, strengths and weaknesses. These five nations dictate the balance of power. After generations of war and strife, players enter EVE during a time when the general political situation is one of peace, albeit a strained and sometimes fragile one, between the empires.

Eve's subscription plans are as follows:

Monthly Cost ($)      Total Cost Per Billing Cycle ($)
1 month plan14.9514.95
3 month plan12.9538.85
6 month plan11.9571.70
12 month plan10.95131.40

What makes Eve unique?

A few things make Eve special amongst other MMORPGs...

Eve is one world:
    Eve is a single virtual universe. What that means is that everyone who joins Eve becomes a part of the same world and the same community - at all times. The industry standard for MMORPGs is to run the game on multiple smaller servers or instances, usually called realms or shards, so that each player only has the opportunity of interaction with a few thousand other players even if the number of subscribers can be in the millions. In Eve you have the opportunity to affect more than 300,000 other players in one way or another as all players are a part of the same persistent universe, hosted on the world‘s most powerful online gaming system yet.

Eve is a sandbox:
    In Eve you are free to choose your own destiny. You start out as a character from one of four races that inhabit the EVE universe but apart from slightly different starting skills you are free to take your character in any direction you want. You are not restricted by predefined character classes or professions. You can trade to make a living, conduct mining operations, market your fighting skills as a mercenary, camp the spacelanes for profit as a pirate, conduct espionage and infiltration, focus on research and manufacturing, or perform increasingly profitable missions for NPC (non player controlled, run by the Eve system) agents. What you choose to do day by day is up to you. You can play alone, form a corporation (equivalent of clan or guild) with a close group of friends or seek entrance to any of the large player run corporations and alliances already established. The Eve universe and its 7,500+ unique solar systems are yours to explore and conquer.

Eve takes work, but requires 0% grind:
    In Eve you don‘t level up like in most games. You purchase skills which then train in real time until finished - even while you are offline. Skills give you a myriad of different abilities. Some allow you to fly specific types of ships or use a particular weapon while others focus more on general things. Each skill has five levels which all give the same percentage bonus to whatever field of your gameplay they affect. Each level however takes increasingly longer to train so that players are always faced with the choice of specializing in one field, or spend the skill training time equally on many different fields. With skills that keep training as long as your account is active, all you need to focus on is your next in-game paycheque.

Eve has a real, player-driven economy:
    Eve has the most detailed, realistically simulated, player-driven economy that the MMO world has ever seen. The Eve economy has even been used as a live simulation, and studied by economists many times over. NPC traders are used to seed the Eve universe with the basic skillbooks and special faction loyalty rewards. Every other item that changes hands in Eve, originates from a player. It is up to players to explore and discover blueprints, to mine and gather the required resources, to build ships and assemble modules, to transport goods from one point to another, and even to construct and deploy stations and their defenses. Due to this large-scale player involved, the Eve economy acts and reacts like a real economy, subject to real-world models such as supply and demand, inflation, depression, etc.

Eve expansions are free:
    You can buy Eve, and all its expansions for US$ 5. Ever since Eve was released, a new account has only cost US$ 5, and every expansion deployed has been free. At the time of writing, Eve is currently transitioning from its 14th expansion (Incursion) to its 15th expansion (Incarna). Unlike the expansions other games deploy, Eve expansions contain more than just more areas to explore, and items to acquire. Eve expansions add whole new dimensions to gameplay; 'Dominion' added largescale alliance warfare and fleet management allowing players to battle for territory; 'Tyrannis' added planetary interaction allowing players to establish planetary resource bases; the upcoming 'Incarna' expansion will add station interiors and allow players to walk around and explore stations using an intuitive interface (CarbonUI).

Eve requires intelligence, not time:
    From combat to industry, business to couriers, Eve is a game that makes you think and consider a situation from every possible angle before making a decision; and sometimes, under pressure. The youngest pilot in a frigate can take down an older pilot in a capital ship, if he is smarter than the latter. Experience, cunning and wisdom will decide your success in the Eve universe, and not how well trained your skills are, or what modules you can use. These things play a part, but they are just tools in your hands.

FAQs

WTF? How am I supposed to learn and know all this stuff?
    Eve has a well planned out tutorial programme that puts you through everything you need to know. It's will have you perform the various different tasks you can do in-game and get you familiar with the interface. You may even decide to not learn everything at once, especially if you are sure that you won't be needing a tutorial in something you won't be interested in, such as exploration. In such a case, you can simply skip that tutorial and continue with the ones you want to do. The first two weeks of Eve will be a learning experience, if you are new to the game. After that, you'll be fine.

I've heard of stuff in Eve costing up to billions of in-game currency. How is there no grind?
    ISK, the in-game currency, is the least of your worries in Eve. There is an infinite number of ways to ways to make ISK. Some of them revolve around performing various tasks provided to you by the game. From mining to missioning, manufacturing to couriering, from contracts to even assassination jobs. Offer your services and take on jobs from both players as well as NPC agents. As above, ISK is the least of your worries in Eve.

I can't afford the subscription :(
    If you can find a way to pay for the account, and the first 3 months of game time, you won't need to pay Eve's subscription. This is because, 3 months is all you will need to raise yourself to a level where you can make 10 million to 15 million ISK per day, as a missioner or a miner, at which point you can then afford to buy and redeem a PLEX every month. If you miss a month, maybe a friend can help you out for that month. A PLEX is an in-game item that can be redeemed to add +30 days of paid time to your Eve account.

I played Ogame and Uncharted Waters Online, both are similar to Eve and they were way too time-consuming for me. How is Eve any different?
    As similar as they are, Eve will only demand your time for the first two weeks or so. This is because your character starts at ground level, with nothing. Tutorials, research into which ship you'd like to fly later and the skill plan for that ship, building a sizable ISK pool in your wallet to fund the skill plan, collecting different ships for mission flexibility, all these things will require time at first. Afterwards, once your character is off the rocky 'newbie' road, you can then play Eve as your free time allows.

Eve In The News

There is a lot of things going on in the player-run hypercapitalist Eve universe: corporate politics, underhanded assassins, pirates, extortionists, etc. Here are a few of some famous news articles that show you how unforgiving Eve is.

Eve online and its vicious assassin corporations and hitman for hire.

... a feat that is quite possibly the most intracate in the history of MMO gaming...

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=42499

Using real-world scam tactics in Eve's realistic economy.

...some people have questioned whether or not a real crime has taken place...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88880-EVE-Online-Banker-Scams-Over-80-Billion-ISK

Eve's crime syndicates rings

...losing in-game items is always frustrating, but never more so than when it has a real-world value of $1,295...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102719-EVE-Online-Geniuses-Blow-Up-Six-Years-of-Game-Time

Trailers

Two videos showing the 'do whatever you want' sandbox game that is the core of Eve.

Ingame footage recorded by CCP of the scale, complexity and seriousness of space battles in Eve. Everything you see and hear are real players, in their own ships fighting and communicating with each other.

A video showing the ultimate gameplay combination Eve Online, the space sci-fi MMO, and the upcoming linked DUST-514 MMOFPS game - 2 games, 2 platforms, 1 game world.

A video showcasing Eve's Trinity 2.0 graphics engine (last updated in 2010) and new animated turrets (added in 2011).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:37:27 pm by Daelin »

Offline Daelin

• Death Company
  • [DC] Ace Of Spades
    • View Profile
    • Death Company [DC]
Re: Eve Online
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:57:42 pm »
More people need to play this game dammit! xD
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:00:40 pm »
More people need to play this game dammit! xD
කෝ සල්ලි ? :P

Offline Daelin

• Death Company
  • [DC] Ace Of Spades
    • View Profile
    • Death Company [DC]
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:06:25 pm »
කෝ සල්ලි ? :P

With the amount of people who play the F2P MMOs here and spend 30 USD a month on the cash shop, why not spend half that amount per month to play one of the coolest MMOs in the genre? :D

But yeah, I guess the biggest problem is the subscription. :(
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:15:17 pm by Daelin »
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 11:56:13 am »
I play EVE ONLINE and it's the first MMO i've played. My race in EVE is Gallente and i pilot a Hyperion battleship

Offline Daelin

• Death Company
  • [DC] Ace Of Spades
    • View Profile
    • Death Company [DC]
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 11:59:13 am »
I play EVE ONLINE and it's the first MMO i've played. My race in EVE is Gallente and i pilot a Hyperion battleship

Awesome! What's your ingame name?
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:40:32 pm »
RAVINDU is the in game and real life name and i am downloding the new EVE client as i type :)

Offline Daelin

• Death Company
  • [DC] Ace Of Spades
    • View Profile
    • Death Company [DC]
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:48:20 pm »
RAVINDU is the in game and real life name and i am downloding the new EVE client as i type :)

Cool, I'll add you to my Contacts + Watchlist when I get home from work. :) Are you in a corp (hi-sec, low-sec, null-sec)? And judging by the fact that you pilot a Hyperion, you're obviously a combat pilot. :) Do you do anything else other than combat?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:57:11 pm by Daelin »
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 06:41:43 pm »
Hmmmm i am still in hi-sec and i am in a missioning coep it's CEO is one of my friends ohhhhh and do show info on me in EVE that will tell you the name of the corp and thanks for adding me to youe contacts i do that same as soon as i get in to EVE :)  And i am still doing missions and was just about to get my Navy Mega. Combat is the only thing i do for now. What dose you do in EVE?

In words of EVE flysafe mate

cerberus

DUST 514
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 12:13:12 am »
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:43 am »

Old :/ But idk how they're going to play that on just rhe PS3 O_O

Offline N3RO

• I love Gamer.LK :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:09:27 pm »
EVE Valkyrie - With Virtual Reality - should be awesome

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 03:45:04 pm »
I play eve "Valaera Arianne" is my character's name.
Also I have another amaar combat oriented character for sale if anyone is interested. (I will sell the account)

Offline N3RO

• I love Gamer.LK :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 09:42:42 pm »
Ahh Nice. My character is 'Nero Silverward'. Its a Minmatar character mostly PvP oriented but still getting my ass handed over to me most of the time in battles.

Currently flying a Stealth Bomber and in Faction Warfare. I'll try to contact you ingame  :P