Offline Rav

• KTHX!
  • Gamer.LK
    • View Profile
Sri Lankan results from WCG Asia 2010
« on: July 25, 2010, 07:37:56 pm »
The World Cyber Games Asian Championship is Asia's biggest and most prestigious cyber-gaming tournament, that pits the continent's most elite gamers and teams against one another in a do-or-die battle for ultimate gaming glory and the celebrated title of being Asia's best. This year's tournament was held in Singapore and as many of you already know, one DOTA team, one FIFA player and one Forza Motorsport player were sent to the tournament to represent Sri Lanka with the financial backing of Rapture Gaming in Singapore. WCG Asia '10 was a memorable, bittersweet, and if nothing else, optimism-inspiring endeavour for the Sri Lankan entourage sent to represent the country. Sri Lankan gaming has no doubt come a long way in the last couple of years, with competitive and pro-level gaming being encouraged more and more and with Sri Lankan players starting to be sent forth onto an international stage, the country's burgeoning gaming scene is finally getting the proper international exposure it craves for and deserves. This year we finally saw Sri Lankan blood show the world what they are truly capable of. firmly stamping their mark on the WCG stage. On one hand, we had two of our players put forward some of the best performances we've seen yet at an international tournament, while on the other hand our DOTA team failed to produce similar results, despite being the.most experienced of the individuals sent.

Forza Motorsport 3 for Xbox360 Results

Representative - Teague "Munky" Gray

The surprise performer this year was none other than Teague "Munky" Gray who was sent as this years Forza 3 representative after beating out a handful of other hopefuls to earn the right to represent his motherland at WCG. It should also be said that this is the first time Sri Lanka has sent representation for a racing game to a WCG tournament.

His group comprised of the following countries:

Chinese Taipei
China
Indonesia
Sri Lanka

He convincingly beat both Indonesia and China, much to everyone's surprise and excitement, losing only to Chinese Taipei (who would eventually go on to win the tournament) to finish 2nd from the top in his group. This earned him a place in the quarter finals where he eventually lost to SIngapore after a bravely fought battle on the asphalt.

We managed to get hold of Teague to hear what he had to say about his first WCG experience:

Prior to actually going to WCG in Singa, did you fancy your chances of being the SL representative for Forza?
Well, I didnt know many Forza players in sri lanka, so I thought I had a chance.. and I was right.. Ive been playing Forza since march (i think) like religiously, and had gotten decent at it :)   

2. What was your practice schedule like? Did you know what to expect from the players at WCG Asia?
 Well, what I did was I analysed the 6 tracks nominated for WCG Asia, I practiced with the settings and rules set out by them. and I would go through each track and figure out the optimum speed, breaking time, breaking distance and racing line to try and perfect each track. funny thing though I was used to an R2 rated car (R1 is highest and a real pain to handle) and once I got there.. everyone was on R1.. so I switched ... lol

Once you got there, what was your experience like? Your stay, the stadium, the crowd and the overall atmosphere?
It was pretty awesome.. the guys in singapore had done a fantastic job at bringing the whole gaming experience into the location, there were wii's, giant screens with Band Hero, 3D gaming stalls by Samsung, A Garena Area, and tonnes of competitions for the spectators too. overall the atmosphere was aamzing... The EXPO is a huge huge convention centre, there were COSPLAY people and LARPers as well contributing to the overall experience of the games.

The resort was pretty cool too, haha got to know the Dota team and the boys well :P

You were one of the most successful contestants that SL has ever sent to a WCG tournament, beating both China and Indonesia to progress to the Quarter Finals. What do you have to say about that? What was the skill level of the 2 players you beat?
To be honest, I didnt expect to win even one.. and since the players are in two seperate areas and its time based (basically u dont know if youve won until u finish) so I was like damn this is gonna be embarrassing... and once I was finished I stood up.. sighed and turned around and saw the Indonesian dude still racing!! i was like WTF.. and the ref was like.. ummmm you won.. I didnt believe it.. he called our manager to the side and said.. "umm I dont know you, and I dont know this guy... but could u please convince him He won?" hahaha well there skill level was pretty much average, I guess I underestimated mine.. :)

Any comments on your loss to Singapore?
Hes a pro, with Forza shoes and intimidation!! maxxed out car... I was like DAMNNN (before the race) I knew it was a losing cause.. but turns out other than one lap (where I clipped a side curb and spun out) the other laps were 1-1.5 seconds apart.. so I underestimated myself .. again... sigh story of my life..

Do you feel you can go back next year and beat all your Asian competition? Do you fancy your chances of becoming the next Asian Forza champ?
Wow, Taipei is good, but I can definetely do Semis, for sure... I just got unlucky with my opponent, if I had got Bangladesh I wud've wrecked him, ( i checked times.. he was ordinary)

Do you feel enough prominence is given to Forza against, say, more popular games like DOTA and CS? What about here in SL?
Well no obviously, but I think that rather than arcade-ish games such as NFS mostwanted, WCG games should be given prominence, I mean its the logical choice... its like getting amazingly good at super mario,,, theres no point in that. I feel even games like Tekken 6 and Guitar Hero should be brought up to tournament level (and obs HALO). get the people in the game u knw..

Are you confident you'll be able to beat out all your competition here in SL, to represent SL in Forza again next year?
Yep

Anything you would like to add? Think it's realistic that you might be able to get a couple of Sponsors onboard for next year's tournament?
Well with games like Halo and Forza, being Microsoft game studios games, we should probably look to them to sponsor such events (i think its being done already .. *checks for Sponsorship Ninjas* shhhh).   

FIFA 2010 for PC Results

Representative - Ifham "Ifiboy" Buhary

One of the brightest and most talented players to come out of the Sri Lankan gaming scene, Ifham "Ifiboy" Buhary got the chance to represent Sri Lanka at FIFA 2010. Heralded by most as the best FIFA player in Sri Lanka at the moment, he was a worthy representative of our country.

After the draw he was placed in a group which consisted of Thailand and Indonesia. The results were as follows:

Thailand - 3-1(Lost) 4-3 (Won)
Indonesia - 6-3(Won) 2-1(Won)

2nd Round
China - 4-3 (Lost) 4-2 (Lost)

As you can see, Ifi did not disappoint, trumping both his opponents in the group stage matches to advance to Round 2. But there he unfortunately lost to China, a country he had, ironically enough, beaten earlier in a friendly match. During our interview Ifi had this to say about his 2nd WCG tournament experience:

Being without a doubt one of Sri Lanka's best FIFA players, how did you fancy your chances at WCG Asia?
Well I was pretty confident of winning it all the way for 2 reasons..
1. Half the opponents I was about to face in WCG Asia were people I met in the last year WCG and some I had won with.
2. Since it's only Asian I just thought why cant I win..:P

Did you know what kind of competition you were up against?
Yep.. Totally knew it.. After last visit to WCG, how can I not know.=.=

What was your practice schedule like? How did you go about preparing for WCG Asia?
A week before I was going I lost ma GCFL round to one of my good friends.. Kinda motivated. But as practice all l I did was some good games with my friends.. (CB, PaLLu, HULK, Ak, Steelix - All of them are really good players..:))

You performed admirably at the tournament. What did you make of your competition? Do you feel there's room for improvement on your end?
Well.. I'm not so pleased with my performance.. I really could have moved to the semis.. I lost to the same person I lost last time in WCG. And yea duh.. There is so much room for improvement :)

Any complaints you have regarding the format or nature of FIFA at the tournament?
One big complaint is that they made me play on a laptop.. That's the biggest disappointment. I couldn't plug in my keyboard also. Organizers couldn't do anything because that's what was being sponsored..

Do you fancy your chances of becoming the Asian FIFA champ one day?
I always have fancied that..:D.. Guess I will if I try one more time..:)

If you could have done anything differently, what would you have done?
When I was playing against China and leading 2-0.. I should have switched to defence mentality and changed my formation..:)

Who were the hardest teams to beat this time round?
China. But out of the group it was Bangladesh.

Did you have fun in Singapore?
I was disappointed to not hold my country's name higher up.. But ya, kinda..

What was the whole WCG experience like for you, this being your second global tournament and all?
A group of maniacs with the same goals of the same taste. Experience was awesome..:D

Anything you'd like to add?
To all the FIFA players.. FIFA when gone international, we are still in standard.. Within 2 more WCG events, if Sri Lanka takes part, I'm pretty sure at least we'll hit a Silver medal..:)

DOTA Results

Representatives -

Team Leader - Muksith "Tenza" AjwathShanaka "Angel Eyes" Weerasuriya
Sashan "VenomZzz" De Silva
Chaminda "Zapper" Dias
"Montage"

The DOTA team sent this year differed ever so slightly to the one that was sent in last year. This year it was four players from Team T0XiC and one player from WDF. Despite a valiant effort on their part, the Sri Lankan DOTA team was knocked out in the first round by Indonesia, China and Vietnam. The team could not be contacted for an interview... but expect us to keep you posted the moment we hear word from them.

Stay tuned to Gamer.LK for the latest in Sri Lankan eSports news.

Article by Sabreen
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:03:18 am by Rav »

Offline Munky

• Death Company
  • Pr1M4T3
    • View Profile
    • www.munkycage.blogspot.com
Re: Sri Lankan results from WCG Asia 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:51:32 pm »
lol who stole the pic of the samsung soccer girls?? :P
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:18:55 pm »
Are there any replays from the DotA matches? :)

Offline Dj VecooL

• Team Poison
  • porto duecento cinquanta un Opel corsa
    • View Profile
    • djvecool`s web site-remixes
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:01:59 pm »
WELL done munky  awesome
did u get the number of those girls xD
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:14:53 pm »
dota didn't lose to bangladesh. they lost to china, indonesia and vietnam in the group stages

Offline Infernez

• Don't strive to be perfect. Strive for excellence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:18:19 pm »
Welldone munky!! :D

did u get the number of those girls xD

::)

Offline RZ

• As above, so below. As within, so without.
    • View Profile
    • Redline Technologies
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:00:30 am »
dota didn't lose to bangladesh. they lost to china, indonesia and vietnam in the group stages
Thanks! We couldn't get info from any of the members -_-
Intel Core i5 | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 120GB SSD | 3TB HDD | AKG Q701 Reference Headphones | SteelSeries Sensei Fnatic + Qck Mass

RL

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 12:05:53 am »
nice work munky... :) awesum!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 03:39:35 am »
Munky FTW!! :D

No Bullshit

Offline AP0CALYPSE

• Death Company
  • ♠ King Of Spades ♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 05:05:29 am »
Lol Nice one Munky! (Still gotta say it though.. Munky Noob!) Hehe.. No but in all seriousness awesomely played.. You really made the whole SL gaming community proud! But ya this definitely applies to all that represented!!

You all did us proud!

Cheers! and GG WP!

The Apocalypse has arrived

Offline LeoN

• PnX-Gaming
  • Free Your Mind...
    • View Profile
    • Phoenix GaminG
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:28:38 am »
Nice work PnX| [UnK] iFiBoY and Munky :).

☜☆☞   ☬ Intel i7 4970K OC 4.8GHz @ 1.35V | MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC | 8GB G.Skill Sniper x 2 @ 2000Mhz | MSI GTX 780 TI | Seasonic X-850 | CM Seidon 120V P+P | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | Samsung 2TB F3 | Samsung BR DSH-B123 | Raven RV01 | Logitech G19 | Logitech G700 | Logitech Z-5500D | Logitech G930 | NZXT Sentry | Roccat Apuri | Samsung PX2370  ☜☆☞
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:07:15 am »
Welldone Guys!
Youtube Channel with 87 Million Views and over 45000 Subscribers

Checkout my Youtube Channel for Daily Gaming Video

http://www.youtube.com/user/LioNKoLLA
https://www.facebook.com/LioNKoLLEK/

Offline Munky

• Death Company
  • Pr1M4T3
    • View Profile
    • www.munkycage.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:12:19 am »

Offline NoVa

• Death Company
  • S A D B O I S !
    • View Profile
    • Xiphos eSports
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 10:01:39 am »
Well Done Bro..:)
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:16 am »
Nice work PnX| [UnK] iFiBoY and Munky

Do not hijack someones thread! Its their thread, if you have a problem start your own!

The Gamer Magazine