Re: How to Choose the Right Power Supply
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:37 am »
u guys also should take a look at this article..very en-lighting   ;)

Why 80 PLUSŪ is Irrelevant to You When Buying a PSU - http://gamer.lk/index.php/topic,19335.new.html#new
For a normal rig, I would agree with you. But there are certain instances where an 80Plus gold could save some bucks over a 80Plus bronze in the long run.
http://www.anushand.com/2013/03/is-80-plus-rating-of-power-supply-worth.html
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 02:38:10 pm »
My idea is 80 Plus is relevant........But not a "must"........
There are critical must have things like "voltage regulation" , "ripple noise"...........etc....
Than that 80Plus certifications (like bronze,silver,gold,platinum)..........
As "Anusha" said, for a more power hungry machine can save some money buy using better efficient PSU ..........

Another thing-
PSUs with higher 80Plus certifications(like bronze,silver,gold,platinum) usually have better quality than others........(to get better efficiency they have to use premium quality components).....
So you can get a better idea about the built quality about the specific PSU by the 80Plus certification........

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:43:21 pm by MPAD »
PRESENT-
Intel Core i7 3770 (non "K") Processor  | ASUS P8Z77 V-LX Mother Board | 2x4gb 1600MHz CL9 XMP Kingston HyperX Kit | EVGA gtx 560Ti super clocked (factory clock) | Seasonic SS-650HT Power Supply| Two SATA 7200Rpm HDDS | Samsung DVD Writer | In-Win C638 Mid Tower Case | ASUS Xonar DGX | PHILIPS SHL4500 | Prolink Pro700 UPS
OLD-
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Processor | MSI Neo 2 Mother Board | Two Kingston 2GB 800Mhz RAM Cards
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 02:50:18 pm »
My idea is 80 Plus is relevant........But not a "must"........
There are critical must have things like "voltage regulation" , "ripple noise"...........etc....
Than that 80Plus certifications (like bronze,silver,gold,platinum)..........
As "Anusha" said, for a more power hungry machine can save some money buy using better efficient PSU ..........

Another thing-
PSUs with higher 80Plus certifications(like bronze,silver,gold,platinum) usually have better quality than others........(to get better efficiency they have to use premium quality components).....
So you can get a better idea about the built quality about the specific PSU by the 80Plus certification........
But there are crappy PSUs with 80Plus certification. Its still a good idea to check reviews on jonnyguru and see if the PSU concerned has any particular problems.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:01:18 pm by Anusha »
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 03:00:06 pm »
But there are crappy PSUs with 80Plus certification. Its still a good ices to check reviews on jonnyguru and see if the PSU concerned has any particular problems.
Definitely!.................
PRESENT-
Intel Core i7 3770 (non "K") Processor  | ASUS P8Z77 V-LX Mother Board | 2x4gb 1600MHz CL9 XMP Kingston HyperX Kit | EVGA gtx 560Ti super clocked (factory clock) | Seasonic SS-650HT Power Supply| Two SATA 7200Rpm HDDS | Samsung DVD Writer | In-Win C638 Mid Tower Case | ASUS Xonar DGX | PHILIPS SHL4500 | Prolink Pro700 UPS
OLD-
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Processor | MSI Neo 2 Mother Board | Two Kingston 2GB 800Mhz RAM Cards

Offline EGS

• For the Best Support Service Call EGS
    • View Profile
    • EGS Website
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 10:12:52 pm »
But there are crappy PSUs with 80Plus certification. Its still a good idea to check reviews on jonnyguru and see if the PSU concerned has any particular problems.

This is the Main thing. Which many fail to understand. Some say 80+ is just an Ad it may or may not but their are some in the market who r misusing it. So Reviews are very important.
E-Globe Solutions Pvt Ltd., 87 5th Lane, Colombo 3. Tel : 0777-802534 / 4795632 / 4718517
For Branded Desktop / Laptop & EGS PC, Gaming Needs from Power Supply, Chassis, VGA cards to PC Accessories, UPS, Printers, NUC & Many More
www.eglobe.lk  www.fb.com/egs.lk
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 10:27:37 pm »
Another thing-

Nope WRONG... some just cheat their way in to getting the 80+ certificate.. meaning the PSU they send to get the 80+ certificate to ECOS may be beefed up & can have hi quality components than the actual PSU that they will be selling to the consumer market.... components can be hi quality to get the efficiency but the ripple noice they can output can be deadly since some manufacturers doesn't giv a shit (Ex-  Thortech PSUs)

The safest bet is to get PSUs from trusted & known brnads that have a gud history of producing God quality PSUs.. Also read a lot of reviews & feedback of the PSU Range / Brand u r planning to buy

This is the Main thing. Which many fail to understand. Some say 80+ is just an Ad it may or may not but their are some in the market who r misusing it. So Reviews are very important.

Agreed
Fiio X1 + Fiio E17 > VSonic VC100 / Ostry KC06A
Notebook + JRiver 20 > Fiio E17 > Sony MDR MA900
OnePlus One > SoundMagic E10
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 11:30:53 pm »
Nope WRONG... some just cheat their way in to getting the 80+ certificate.. meaning the PSU they send to get the 80+ certificate to ECOS may be beefed up & can have hi quality components than the actual PSU that they will be selling to the consumer market.
I am not mentioned about PSUs with cheated 80Plus certification......

components can be hi quality to get the efficiency but the ripple noice they can output can be deadly since some manufacturers doesn't giv a shit (Ex-  Thortech PSUs)
Correct!........
The safest bet is to get PSUs from trusted & known brnads that have a gud history of producing God quality PSUs.. Also read a lot of reviews & feedback of the PSU Range / Brand u r planning to buy
That's the best way to choose a better PSU...............
PRESENT-
OLD-

Offline EGS

• For the Best Support Service Call EGS
    • View Profile
    • EGS Website
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 11:33:04 pm »
For a normal rig, I would agree with you. But there are certain instances where an 80Plus gold could save some bucks over a 80Plus bronze in the long run.
http://www.anushand.com/2013/03/is-80-plus-rating-of-power-supply-worth.html

This is a Very Good Report for a Person who did not know about PSU Ratings & the power consumption and what he pays end of the month to the Electricity Board,  Its worth reading.

Also to add to the previous statement on 80+, Most known and popular makers of PSU dont try to mess around with the their 80+ Certification by sending a good unit for testing and sending out to the market a lower grade, since this can spoil their reputation. But their are some small timers who get their PSU made by others can do this. Can obtain the certification and then get the same PSU done by others at a lower cost and use the certification to promote their product. Many un suspecting users can fall pray to it. It can be buyers or even sellers.
E-Globe Solutions Pvt Ltd., 87 5th Lane, Colombo 3. Tel : 0777-802534 / 4795632 / 4718517
For Branded Desktop / Laptop & EGS PC, Gaming Needs from Power Supply, Chassis, VGA cards to PC Accessories, UPS, Printers, NUC & Many More
www.eglobe.lk  www.fb.com/egs.lk
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 11:55:38 pm »
This is a Very Good Report for a Person who did not know about PSU Ratings & the power consumption and what he pays end of the month to the Electricity Board,  Its worth reading. 

Correct!............
But there are few people in SL who uses more than 500w and I do not think that do much difference on electricity bill........(Not sure)..........
But it can affect for the thermals (I have experienced with my PC)...............

Also to add to the previous statement on 80+, Most known and popular makers of PSU dont try to mess around with the their 80+ Certification by sending a good unit for testing and sending out to the market a lower grade, since this can spoil their reputation. But their are some small timers who get their PSU made by others can do this. Can obtain the certification and then get the same PSU done by others at a lower cost and use the certification to promote their product. Many un suspecting users can fall pray to it. It can be buyers or even sellers.
For real PSU manufacturers...........that is over 99% valid...........
But for others........................who knows!...........(except reputed brands)...............
PRESENT-
OLD-
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:31 am »
Correct!............
But there are few people in SL who uses more than 500w and I do not think that do much difference on electricity bill........(Not sure)..........
Yes that's why I said for a normal rig or even a single card high end gaming rig that doesn't use over 400W while gaming or doing heavy work, there is no point in investing money on anything over a 80Plus bronze PSU. But again, price difference is the governing factor. Inhave no idea about the PSU prices in SL.
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2013, 08:47:11 am »
I'm tired of power supplies...
i5-3570K | GA-B75M-D3H | 2x 4GB Hyper X Genesis | 240gb Seagate 600 SSD |1tb HDD | GeForce GTX 660 windforce OC | Silver stone RL01 | FSP Hexa+ 550W | Razer abyssus | 8.1 pro 64 | AOC 2251 21.5" 1080p IPS | Power Tree S600CI UPS | Xperia ZR
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:51 pm »
anybody know for how much a 2nd hand seasonic x650 (650w) gold modular psu goes for , and that's with warranty from redline technologies ...
Gave Up PC Gaming Long Time Ago - And Moved To

Sony PS4 Pro 1TB / VR Headset / 2 X Dual Shock 4 Wireless Controllers / Play Station Move / Play Station Camera / 55 Inch 4K Samsung Curved 3D Smart Tv / LG Curved Wireless Sound Bar With Wireless Sub Woofer
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2014, 07:37:45 pm »
anybody know for how much a 2nd hand seasonic x650 (650w) gold modular psu goes for , and that's with warranty from redline technologies ...
Brandnew X650 is around 22.5K at Redline , So a used one will cost around 15k , I guess.

I suppose that you came here after a long time.
And Why are you looking for another x650?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:50:44 pm by MPAD »
PRESENT-
OLD-
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2014, 08:40:52 pm »
Brandnew X650 is around 22.5K at Redline , So a used one will cost around 15k , I guess.

I suppose that you came here after a long time.
And Why are you looking for another x650?

ya bro after a long time :) left gaming couple of months back but everything changed back to the previous state after i brought that 280x he he :P ...

actually not trying to buy another psu :P - thought of selling the one i'm using at the moment and going for something with 750w ... hmmm ...
Gave Up PC Gaming Long Time Ago - And Moved To

Sony PS4 Pro 1TB / VR Headset / 2 X Dual Shock 4 Wireless Controllers / Play Station Move / Play Station Camera / 55 Inch 4K Samsung Curved 3D Smart Tv / LG Curved Wireless Sound Bar With Wireless Sub Woofer
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2014, 09:06:52 pm »
ya bro after a long time :) left gaming couple of months back but everything changed back to the previous state after i brought that 280x he he :P ...

actually not trying to buy another psu :P - thought of selling the one i'm using at the moment and going for something with 750w ... hmmm ...
let me know if you are selling the 650 ;)
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 4.2GHz | Arctic Freezer i30 | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | Avexir Blitz 1.1 2X4GB @2133MHz | Samsung 850Evo 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT  500GB | Asus X-multi DVD R/W | Silverstone Strider x560w | Zalman HD 7970 | NZXT Phanthom 410 Gunmetal | Asus VZ249H | CM Storm Spawn | 2x Xigmatek xlf 140mm fans  |3x NZXT FN V2  120mm fans  | Icemodz UV Strips