web analytics
German tournament cancelled due to government laws
« on: July 04, 2009, 11:03:49 pm »
"According to readmore, the famous German LAN event  has been cancelled by the organisation following a controversial decision by local authorities."
"However, it has now been confirmed that the event has been cancelled after the local authorities decided not to allow the so-called 'killer games' Counter-Strike: 1.6 and Warcraft III to be played at the LAN party. Since the organisation had no way to control this, it ultimately decided to cancel the whole event.

This decision follows Germany's strict rules on violent videogames after the school shooting in Weinnenden in March, which cost the lives of 16 people."
source www.hltv.org

one thing i know, if 1 sri lankan hardcore gamer ends up killing someone, that will be end of SL gaming. i mean it the end!
knowing these politicans to get praise from the parents who also believe that gaming is unnecessary push the laws to the utmost extreme. should we push the government to consider the age rating laws to reduce such occurences? but germany was a country that had tight laws for gaming and this incident anyway happened.any ideas,thoughts?

Offline mumble

• Falsus Divertimento
  • Sir Psycho
    • View Profile
Re: German tournament cancelled due to government laws
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:05:54 pm »
I sense another "Does PC gaming lead to violence?" threads in the brewing. Personally, I think its plain stupid.
HE-MEN.Splendid

shad3

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 12:55:16 am »
well. this is going to have a big impact on CS .

Offline MADNESSSsss

• Death Company
  • BaaaBaaaBaaBaaBaanana \:D/
    • View Profile
    • Xiphos Esports
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 01:06:12 am »
Hopefully no glk member will go around shooting random ppl n the streets.... *looks up at mumble n shad3* o.0

I guess even if the Sri Lankan politiccos ban gaming, ppl will continue gaming like some underground communities in secrecy (people know its there but don't want to say it publicly),
which I guess is happening right now in Germany.... (Y)

No one can keep a Gamer from Gaming... unless its his/her own intuition  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 01:21:08 am by MADNESSSsss »
BattleDroid-A2
Ryzen 5 5600X | ASUS TUF X570 PLUS WiFi | 16GB DDR4 4000MHz | RTX 3080 10GB | 500GB Aorus PCI4 NVME SSD | 2TB + 1TB HDD | Asus ROG Strix 750W | Acer XG270HU 144hz 2K Monitor |  SteelSeries Arctis 5 Dota Edition | SteelSeries Rival 600 

BattleDroid-A1 - Decommissioned
Core i5 4590 | 16GB DDR3 1800MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | 120GB SSD | 2TB + 1TB HDD | Acer XG270HU 144hz 2K Monitor |  SteelSeries Arctis 5 Dota Edition | Zowie FK 1+  | SteelSeries Qck+ Fnatic Edition

Offline Rav

• KTHX!
  • Gamer.LK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 01:36:37 am »
one thing i know, if 1 sri lankan hardcore gamer ends up killing someone, that will be end of SL gaming. i mean it the end!

Doubt it. Sri Lanka is a lot different from more developed countries. Terrorism <- that's the keyword in Sri Lanka and gaming will not take the blame for violence till we're a first world country. You think any of our politicians even know about "violent computer games"? I highly doubt it. This country has much larger issues.

Offline MADNESSSsss

• Death Company
  • BaaaBaaaBaaBaaBaanana \:D/
    • View Profile
    • Xiphos Esports
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 01:46:26 am »
You think any of our politicians even know about "violent computer games"? I highly doubt it.

Duminda Silva, Mervin Silva n Rathnasiri Wickramanayake knows... I've seen them on the cs.gamer.lk  o.0
BattleDroid-A2
Ryzen 5 5600X | ASUS TUF X570 PLUS WiFi | 16GB DDR4 4000MHz | RTX 3080 10GB | 500GB Aorus PCI4 NVME SSD | 2TB + 1TB HDD | Asus ROG Strix 750W | Acer XG270HU 144hz 2K Monitor |  SteelSeries Arctis 5 Dota Edition | SteelSeries Rival 600 

BattleDroid-A1 - Decommissioned
Core i5 4590 | 16GB DDR3 1800MHz | GTX 1070 8GB | 120GB SSD | 2TB + 1TB HDD | Acer XG270HU 144hz 2K Monitor |  SteelSeries Arctis 5 Dota Edition | Zowie FK 1+  | SteelSeries Qck+ Fnatic Edition

shad3

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 04:28:49 am »
Duminda Silva, Mervin Silva n Rathnasiri Wickramanayake knows... I've seen them on the cs.gamer.lk  o.0

ROFLMAO xD

Offline Infernez

• Don't strive to be perfect. Strive for excellence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 06:38:35 am »
should we push the government to consider the age rating laws to reduce such occurences?

Yeah man, It ll be great if we can do that.. :S .. When it comes to ICT rules & regulations, Sri Lanka is waaaaay back..Theyve started implementing rules for software piracy, but only Microsoft is working actively.. Still no one to stop pirated software from other Developers. Same thing for gaming, whatever rating it has, people who sell, they just dont care & there aint anyone or any rules to force them to do it either..
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:01:35 am »
agreed with rav,this country has much larger issues but they tend to blame the poor computer alot :P i still feel theres a higher tendency to do so, if theres evidence of more than just casual gaming by a killer. one  of the best exampless of sri lanka over strengthening rules because of just one incident: when an ltte blew a bomb acting to be a pregnant woman,since that day pregnant women had so much trouble.

You think any of our politicians even know about "violent computer games"?
when they do learn GG xD

Offline Munky

• Death Company
  • Pr1M4T3
    • View Profile
    • www.munkycage.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 01:49:43 pm »
Doesnt help if ur clan is called "Death Company" LOL

Offline D3AtH $TryK3

• Death Company
  • Fear me for I am D3AtH $TryK3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 01:53:06 pm »
lol No it doesnt hehe

Admin : Gamer.LK Sri Lankan CS Server.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 03:19:41 pm »
Agree with Rav on this. This country has other issues to deal with and address before it even hears of "gaming". When they do, there'll be a 'nice' public debate between gamers vs anti-gamers. Knowing our country the group that gives the biggest bribe will prolly win :P So why not open a savings account now itself :P
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 03:49:25 pm »
oh germany! that is just bullshit!
have anyone of us felt like takin a weapon to school n shotin down ppl around? even history n religion teachers?  o.0 .... coz u played lot of cs last night ?
 Weinnenden incident is so unfortunate.but ppl cant blame on games.that incident may have occured coz of that killers psychological condition. >:( >:( >:(
 i think german authorities tryin to put the blame on gamin to cover up how psychotic freaks their citizens   :sick:
if gamin implores violence what abt alcohol ! (but i'm not sayin to ban alcohol either.its  kinda basic necessity
  ::) )
if we go through the facts of Weinnenden incident the criminal's father is a member of local shooting club and he had weapon collection in his house. isn't that enough to think wat may have happened >:(
what govts hav to do is not letin guns to stick around public. in fact if that guys father had a watergun collection instead, things would have been much different. (rather funny ;D )
so the govt of germany, that is just bullshit!

Offline mumble

• Falsus Divertimento
  • Sir Psycho
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 03:54:01 pm »

Being called Death Company aint so bad.. Getting your clan's name in the papers wasnt too good though :P.. I hope ordinary people dont think of us gamers as "those ruffians in those death cults, calling themselves Aces and jokers"...
HE-MEN.Splendid

Offline Cipher

• Empowering Sri Lankan Gamers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 03:56:19 pm »
(Y)  

You have to remeber that our politicians can score some nice votes with the older generations if they go on bashing 'gaming' or gaming related activities. Not every parent like their kid becoming a gamer. They might introduce a law to restrict everyone under 21 from playing video games.  :P