web analytics
(Question) Budget Brands
« on: March 01, 2021, 05:17:03 pm »
So just thought of starting this discussion because prices of pc components are skyrocketing by the day.

When I say budget Brands, I am talking about brands like Havit, Armageddon, Fantech etc. I have never bought anything from these brands but the market these days is saturated with these products. Prices are attractive too.

I am all for settling for cheap brands or non-branded stuff when it comes to clothes and perfumes etc. But have always looked to go for better brands when it comes to pc parts :D

You guys have any experience in using their products? Speakers, keyboards, mouse specially. Just share you thoughts.

Offline SAD

• I love Gamer.LK :)
    • View Profile
Re: (Question) Budget Brands
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 05:42:52 pm »
Used a fantech headphone i Bought for 4k. been working well for 1+ year, pads needs replacing. otherwise sound and durability was solid. Mic quality was top notch too. I say this because I just upgraded to a hyperx cloud alpha headphone and comparatively, fantechs are well worth the price. Ive heard very good things about fantech mech keyboards as well.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 07:18:12 pm »
Havit and Fantech have been well worth the price and offers reasonably good quality, from my personal experience with the two brands over the past couple of years. I imported Havit peripherals like mice and keyboards before they were available locally, and no issues noted after 4+ years. Fantech has a bit more plasticky and gamery looking stuff, but lots of options to choose from so most people can find something that fits them. They have keyboards, mice, PC cases, case fans, CPU coolers, fan controllers, RGB mouse pads, headphones, earbuds, subwoofers, mouse bungees, you name it. But I'd prefer that over Armaggeddon (no idea why it's spelt wrong) stuff because those can be a hit or miss. Leapfroglobal Singapore is a decent company and their sub brands (Sonicgear, Armaggeddon, Alcatroz, PowerLogic, AudioBox and Elysium) made good products but quality seemed to drop slightly once they started making gamery RGB stuff. Metropolitan was the importer earlier but they stopped dealing with those brands a couple of years back, and it has switched around a few times since then.

Please stay away from critical components like PSUs from any of those brands though.

Once again, always test these out because your mileage may vary. Unlike buying something sight unseen from a premium name brand after reading up a review, I would always advise anyone to personally experience the specific item when it comes to budget brands. OEMs and quality may be completely different even though model numbers are right next to each other.
Parting out PCs, PM if interested. Only following remain.

1x Samsung 500GB 7200rpm
Intel Core i3 3220
Intel Pentium G3220
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 07:24:55 pm »
Used a fantech headphone i Bought for 4k. been working well for 1+ year, pads needs replacing. otherwise sound and durability was solid. Mic quality was top notch too. I say this because I just upgraded to a hyperx cloud alpha headphone and comparatively, fantechs are well worth the price. Ive heard very good things about fantech mech keyboards as well.
\

That's good to know. I should get some fantech peripherals and see how they hold over time.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:31:16 pm by Grim Raven »
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 07:30:16 pm »
Havit and Fantech have been well worth the price and offers reasonably good quality, from my personal experience with the two brands over the past couple of years. I imported Havit peripherals like mice and keyboards before they were available locally, and no issues noted after 4+ years. Fantech has a bit more plasticky and gamery looking stuff, but lots of options to choose from so most people can find something that fits them. They have keyboards, mice, PC cases, case fans, CPU coolers, fan controllers, RGB mouse pads, headphones, earbuds, subwoofers, mouse bungees, you name it. But I'd prefer that over Armaggeddon (no idea why it's spelt wrong) stuff because those can be a hit or miss. Leapfroglobal Singapore is a decent company and their sub brands (Sonicgear, Armaggeddon, Alcatroz, PowerLogic, AudioBox and Elysium) made good products but quality seemed to drop slightly once they started making gamery RGB stuff. Metropolitan was the importer earlier but they stopped dealing with those brands a couple of years back, and it has switched around a few times since then.

Please stay away from critical components like PSUs from any of those brands though.

Once again, always test these out because your mileage may vary. Unlike buying something sight unseen from a premium name brand after reading up a review, I would always advise anyone to personally experience the specific item when it comes to budget brands. OEMs and quality may be completely different even though model numbers are right next to each other.

Thanks for this elaborate explanation. How is the software side of things when it comes to keyboards and mice? Can you record macro keys and stuff? I might consider getting a wireless gaming mouse from fantech as branded wireless gaming mice are super expensive. Also need to get a keyboard with mx blue switches as well and branded ones are sometimes at least twice the price of Armaggeddon stuff. Haven't seen Havit or Fantech Mechanical keyboards anywhere though.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 11:43:26 pm »
bought an Armaggeddon Hectotron casing few years back and now rust is appearing in metal parts . never had an issue with my previous casings like this(im not from sea side )
recently bought Armaggeddon arctic storm 3 cpu cooler and no issues yet
using 2  fantech fc 124 rgb fans and both have an audible electric crackling noise which im unable to find a reason

Offline sk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 12:36:29 am »
I have a Fantech HQ51 headphone which I bought for 2.3k (now can be found a lot cheaper) around 8 months ago. The sound quality is actually very gud for its price. The only concern I have with it is that the headband doesnt feel very strong so I dont feel very comfortable stretching it that much. But honestly for the price I cant complain. I really appreciate the gud sound quality in these.

I also have a Havit mouse which I have been using for around 3 years now. its build quality doesnt feel very gud and the left click now feels bouncy too. The mouse still however is my daily driver.

Armageddon, I have used their keyboards in gamedge and I have noticed in some of them the shift key and the space bars were broken. I didnt get a chance to use their headphones but my friend who did said it didnt sound gud. I wonder if those Armageddon Pulse like headphones that go around 4 - 5k sound any gud.

Offline SAD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 10:20:30 am »
Thanks for this elaborate explanation. How is the software side of things when it comes to keyboards and mice? Can you record macro keys and stuff? I might consider getting a wireless gaming mouse from fantech as branded wireless gaming mice are super expensive. Also need to get a keyboard with mx blue switches as well and branded ones are sometimes at least twice the price of Armaggeddon stuff. Haven't seen Havit or Fantech Mechanical keyboards anywhere though.

Id like to know about wireless mice too. for mech keyboards go to https://redtech.lk/. they usually bring down a lot of fantech stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 11:58:39 am »
I tried playing around with the software when I just got these but never bothered to keep them installed. Just updated the polling rates and uninstalled it, I like the system being clutter free. No need to keep drivers installed because there are shortcuts to switch the lighting modes if needed. The models I have don't have massive amounts of functionality, but works well as any good KB/MS would, responsive, reasonable lighting without being over the top, easy to type, tracks well and got braided cables . HV-MS794 and HV-KB395L, not into macros myself so didn't really bother looking for that :D Mouse is very much like a Mamba TE in terms of looks and sensor is very good, no skipping over any surface I've tried on and able to keep up in fast shooters. KB is like the a Steelseries model I guess, or CM SK650.

I've seen the cheaper/flimsier Havit products being available locally so have a look around for something decent, or Fantech has a huge selection of items locally. Mech keyboards from them are available in Colombo, look for MK851 for mech and MK882, MK884, MK885 for optomech. They cost below 6K before price hikes a couple of months back after the rupee crash + import restrictions, still should be around 8K-9K max.

Personally, I really don't care for the brand if the quality is good. Usually, it's just a label plastered onto a product which has been made at factory in Shenzhen/Guangzhou - maybe even designed there by ODMs and purchased off the shelf.

I also have a Havit mouse which I have been using for around 3 years now. its build quality doesnt feel very gud and the left click now feels bouncy too. The mouse still however is my daily driver.
Is yours a MS691 or MS672 bought locally? Didn't like the look and feel of those mice myself, and didn't feel that strong either. Their higher end models have tough shells and cousin accidentally dropped a spanner onto the MS840, left a scratch but didn't crack.

Armageddon, I have used their keyboards in gamedge and I have noticed in some of them the shift key and the space bars were broken. I didnt get a chance to use their headphones but my friend who did said it didnt sound gud. I wonder if those Armageddon Pulse like headphones that go around 4 - 5k sound any gud.
True, I was looking at getting a Kalashnikov whatever keyboard a long long time back but wasn't impressed when I got it to my hands, flimsy build quality and would have broken after a couple of months of hard use. That's when I got down the Havit stuff.
Their sound quality has been good on the (relatively within their product line) high end, but once I tried a couple of lower end models at MC, were utter 💩 and gaudy looking to boot.

bought an Armaggeddon Hectotron casing few years back and now rust is appearing in metal parts . never had an issue with my previous casings like this(im not from sea side )
recently bought Armaggeddon arctic storm 3 cpu cooler and no issues yet
I tend to stay away from their cases because they seem to love vertical mounting Hard Drives which isn't ideal. Most lower end cases have 0.5mm or thinner SPCC steel spray painted in black, which is why they start rusting at the seams if the coverage isn't good. Have not had any issues with my Gamemax cases though, except with little bit of rust inside screw holes which is to be expected given our high humidity and temperature.
Look for SECC steel and preferably 0.8mm or higher, 0.6 bare minimum on the inner panels if the front has thicker panels with 4mm+ tempered glass sides.
InWin 301 (yes, not a budget casing) is 1.2mm SECC so will probably outlast 3-4 builds among multiple users.

using 2  fantech fc 124 rgb fans and both have an audible electric crackling noise which im unable to find a reason
Is the crackling sound from fans or headphones? Check your wall socket Neutral line with a multimeter against the Ground terminal anyway, to see if it reads 0V. Major issue in Sri Lanka, lot of people burning out their components this way or getting audio interference.
Parting out PCs, PM if interested. Only following remain.

1x Samsung 500GB 7200rpm
Intel Core i3 3220
Intel Pentium G3220

Offline sk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 01:27:13 pm »

Is yours a MS691 or MS672 bought locally? Didn't like the look and feel of those mice myself, and didn't feel that strong either. Their higher end models have tough shells and cousin accidentally dropped a spanner onto the MS840, left a scratch but didn't crack.
True, I was looking at getting a Kalashnikov whatever keyboard a long long time back but wasn't impressed when I got it to my hands, flimsy build quality and would have broken after a couple of months of hard use. That's when I got down the Havit stuff.
Their sound quality has been good on the (relatively within their product line) high end, but once I tried a couple of lower end models at MC, were utter 💩 and gaudy looking to boot.

The Havit I got is called the MS793. The main reason I got it is because it was the only mouse that was in budget that was big enough to palm grip for me. as i remember it cost me 1.8k in unity back then.

Offline sk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 01:38:40 pm »
Oh yes I forgot to mention, I do have a Gamemax GP-650 power supply. Cost me 7k back then and a similar one from a reputed brand like corsair would have cost me around 12k I think. I used it to run a gtx 660 couple years back. It wasnt a wise move to cheap out on something important as a PSU but it performed without any issues. Nowadays there are reviews for gamemax PSUs by somewhat popular youtube channels. And they even recommend getting it for budget builds. Even I think that personally too, this PSU should be alright to power something running a GTX 1050ti like GPU. But I would still try to get something reputed when it comes to PSUs.

Back when I bought it the only reviews that were there were done by Russians :D I remember one of them showing that he can run a gtx 960. 
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 09:08:45 am »
So basically the gist of it is stay away from Armageddon and go for  Havit or Fantech. Good to know those brands deliver at least. The way that prices are inflating we might not be able to afford branded stuff.

Offline sk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 11:26:17 am »
I guess A4 Tech products offer a decent experience too. I have heard good about them from a few of my friends.

Offline db

• Death Company
  • Keep Calm and Listen to Trance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 04:21:11 pm »
I guess A4 Tech products offer a decent experience too. I have heard good about them from a few of my friends.

pretty sure A4 tech has high end equipment they do not fall under the budget brands

in a nutshell - any other brand > armageddon
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 09:13:41 pm »
Having said all of that I am tempted to buy an Asus Flare with Cherry MX Blue Keys. It just looks like love at first sight and love at first type! (Facepalm)

Just hope that prices won't go high by the time new stock lands here.