web analytics

Offline Chandk

• I love Gamer.LK :)
    • View Profile
DOUBT ON Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM
« on: November 08, 2020, 08:16:06 pm »
I have this doubt more than one year please anybody help. I have gtx 1080 ti oc 11g. I am planning to buy monitor, there are 2 option

Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ & Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM

1. I just wanna know can i play 144hz in 280hz monitor without any trouble

2 . Can i play 1080p in 1440p monitor without any trouble

3. If i failed to cap 144fps in 144hz monitor sitll its usefol or waste of money

please guyz please clear my doubts
Re: DOUBT ON Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 11:53:57 pm »
I have this doubt more than one year please anybody help. I have gtx 1080 ti oc 11g. I am planning to buy monitor, there are 2 option

Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ & Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM

2 . Can i play 1080p in 1440p monitor without any trouble

3. If i failed to cap 144fps in 144hz monitor sitll its usefol or waste of money

please guyz please clear my doubts

If you not planning to upgrade your graphic card i would suggest going for a reliable 144Hz monitor. Get a Free-sync one and it wont be an issue. playing on 1080p or 1440p is more depends on your graphic card, as far as i know it wont be a big issue. last, you cant 100% 144Hz on a 144Hz monitor its always somewhere little below , just becasue the manufacture says its 144Hz its not fully giving you the 144Hz. Plus the issues like side blindspots or ghosting, color issues or blurr can't be detected unless you actually use it.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7GHz GHz 8-Core Processor (OC to 4.3Ghz) w/ Cooler Master ML 120L RGB water cooling system | Motherboard : ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING |CASING: MASTERBOX MB500 TUF GAMING EDITION | RAM : TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta TUF DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz | GPU :  PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GDDR6 | Storage : Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 5400RPM + Seagate BarraCuda 1TB Internal Hard Drive HDD + Toshiba 256G SSD 2TB HDD | Power Supply : EVGA - 1000W ATX /EPS 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black | Primary Display : MSI 24" Curved Freesync Monitor 144 Hz | Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse, | Gaming Headset :Steel series arctis 3 | Gaming Keyboard: Steel series Apex 7 TKL w/ hyperX KC| Mousepad : SteelSeries QcK Dota 2 TI9 Edition Gaming Surface

Offline Zer0

• Because zero f***s given
    • View Profile
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 06:27:08 pm »
The amount of misinformation here is staggering. Let me see if I can clear this up.

The refresh rate is the rate at which the monitor refreshes its signal from the PC. This is completely independent of the framerate on whatever you're playing. A higher refresh rate will look and feel smoother, and also provide lower latency between what you see on screen, your input, and that input registering on your PC (60hz = 16.67ms, 144hz = 6.94ms, 280hz = 3.57ms). The highest level competitive gamers prefer the highest refresh rates to eliminate any hardware bottlenecks, but unless you're playing at that level, you're unlikely to notice a difference between 3.5ms and 7ms.

With that basic information, on to the questions.

Just set your monitor to the highest refresh rate it can provide. This has nothing to do with the performance of your PC. If you have a display port, Intel HD graphics can run at 360Hz if you want.

2 . Can i play 1080p in 1440p monitor without any trouble.
You can, but it's a little trickier. 1080p on a 1440p screen doesn't look good due to imperfect pixel mapping. You'll have certain points where pixels on your screen (1080p) don't exactly map to the pixels on your monitor (1440p) and will cause random artifacts (mostly, off colour lines). The workaround is running at 720p which offers perfect 4 to 1 pixel mapping. HOWEVER, you're running a GTX 1080Ti, there's really no competitive multiplayer game that will struggle to push decent frames at 1440p, so this is really a non issue.

3. If i failed to cap 144fps in 144hz monitor sitll its usefol or waste of money\
This is irrelevant. As long as you are getting above 60fps, you'll notice a difference. For example, I play APEX Legends at around 100 FPS on my 144hz monitor, which is still SIGNIFICANTLY better than running it on a 60hz monitor.

Out of the two options you suggested, I'd strongly recommend a 1440p 144hz option, as it combines the best of both worlds. The higher resolution increases the visual fidelity (image quality) significantly, and as I said before, unless you're playing at the highest professional level, you really wouldn't notice a difference going over 200hz.

If you not planning to upgrade your graphic card i would suggest going for a reliable 144Hz monitor. Get a Free-sync one and it wont be an issue. playing on 1080p or 1440p is more depends on your graphic card, as far as i know it wont be a big issue. last, you cant 100% 144Hz on a 144Hz monitor its always somewhere little below , just becasue the manufacture says its 144Hz its not fully giving you the 144Hz. Plus the issues like side blindspots or ghosting, color issues or blurr can't be detected unless you actually use it.
If you don't know what you're talking about, the worst thing you could be doing is giving people advice.

- A GTX 1080Ti will easily run any game at max setting at 1440p, and tweaking a few settings will get any multiplayer game to 144fps+ at 1440p. He doesn't need a graphics card upgrade.
- Freesync is an AMD technology and has nothing to do with an Nvidia card. Not sure what issues you're talking about. Provided your monitor has Adaptive Sync (which both these models have) your refresh rate will sync with your framerate and offer a smoother experience.
- What on earth do you mean by "you cant 100% 144Hz on a 144Hz monitor its always somewhere little below , just becasue the manufacture says its 144Hz its not fully giving you the 144Hz"? It's a digital setting, you set your refresh rate on you PC and it'll run at that setting. If your monitor isn't running at the advertised refresh rate, it's faulty and you should get it replaced.
- "Plus the issues like side blindspots or ghosting, color issues or blurr can't be detected unless you actually use it" None of these issues should be present on a monitor, and anything of the sort is covered by warranty, so it's not something you need to worry when picking a product.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 09:55:08 pm »
The amount of misinformation here is staggering. Let me see if I can clear this up.

The refresh rate is the rate at which the monitor refreshes its signal from the PC. This is completely independent of the framerate on whatever you're playing. A higher refresh rate will look and feel smoother, and also provide lower latency between what you see on screen, your input, and that input registering on your PC (60hz = 16.67ms, 144hz = 6.94ms, 280hz = 3.57ms). The highest level competitive gamers prefer the highest refresh rates to eliminate any hardware bottlenecks, but unless you're playing at that level, you're unlikely to notice a difference between 3.5ms and 7ms.

Just set your monitor to the highest refresh rate it can provide. This has nothing to do with the performance of your PC. If you have a display port, Intel HD graphics can run at 360Hz if you want.
You can, but it's a little trickier. 1080p on a 1440p screen doesn't look good due to imperfect pixel mapping. You'll have certain points where pixels on your screen (1080p) don't exactly map to the pixels on your monitor (1440p) and will cause random artifacts (mostly, off colour lines). The workaround is running at 720p which offers perfect 4 to 1 pixel mapping. HOWEVER, you're running a GTX 1080Ti, there's really no competitive multiplayer game that will struggle to push decent frames at 1440p, so this is really a non issue.
This is irrelevant. As long as you are getting above 60fps, you'll notice a difference. For example, I play APEX Legends at around 100 FPS on my 144hz monitor, which is still SIGNIFICANTLY better than running it on a 60hz monitor.

Out of the two options you suggested, I'd strongly recommend a 1440p 144hz option, as it combines the best of both worlds. The higher resolution increases the visual fidelity (image quality) significantly, and as I said before, unless you're playing at the highest professional level, you really wouldn't notice a difference going over 200hz.
If you don't know what you're talking about, the worst thing you could be doing is giving people advice.

- A GTX 1080Ti will easily run any game at max setting at 1440p, and tweaking a few settings will get any multiplayer game to 144fps+ at 1440p. He doesn't need a graphics card upgrade.
- Freesync is an AMD technology and has nothing to do with an Nvidia card. Not sure what issues you're talking about. Provided your monitor has Adaptive Sync (which both these models have) your refresh rate will sync with your framerate and offer a smoother experience.
- What on earth do you mean by "you cant 100% 144Hz on a 144Hz monitor its always somewhere little below , just becasue the manufacture says its 144Hz its not fully giving you the 144Hz"? It's a digital setting, you set your refresh rate on you PC and it'll run at that setting. If your monitor isn't running at the advertised refresh rate, it's faulty and you should get it replaced.
- "Plus the issues like side blindspots or ghosting, color issues or blurr can't be detected unless you actually use it" None of these issues should be present on a monitor, and anything of the sort is covered by warranty, so it's not something you need to worry when picking a product.

Sorry OP for stealing the post  :)

interesting detailed response, and want to know few key points with 144hz.

1. 100 fps on 144Hz, how is screen tearing?and if you hab 160fps on game but your monitor is 144hz, tearing still can occur is it> is it true that tearing is less noticeable when higher the refresh rate?

2. what is adaptive sync. is it with amd or intel or for both?  ::)
<Current Rig>

Core i5 6600k oc @4.2Ghz 1.25V | Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170x Gaming 3 | 2 x G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16-8GTZB @ 15-15-15-35 on 2933Mhz 1.32V 32GB DDR4 | ASUS Strix OC GTX 1070 8G |  Raidmax Cobra 120mm Hydro Cooler | WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX x2 | Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 | Seasonic G550 Gold Semi-Modular | 2 x Asus Green DVD-RW 24x SATA | Raidmax Vortex v5 with 2x CM Jet-Flo LED 120mm + Raidmax Native 120mm Fan | Samsung S27D590 27" PLS| Asus Cerberus MK II Back-lit Keyboard |  Asus STRIX Mousemat + Razer Golliathus Large | Razer Basilisk FPS Mouse | Sennhieser PC 320 G4ME Headset + Corsair Void Elite Wireless |  Microlab M-200 2.1 Speaker System

<-- Hall of Fame -->
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.4Ghz | MSI P43T-C51 | Corsair Gaming 2GBx2[CGM2X2G800] + Corsair XMS2 2GBx1[CM2X2048-6400C5] 6GB [email protected] 412Mhz x2 | Axle 210G 1GB GDDR3 | 19" Viewsonic VA903-3Series | Antec IPA-450 PSU | Asus DVD-RW 18x IDE |  Silverstone 120mm LED Blue |5.25 Media Dashboard Front USB 3.0 Expansion Bay+ Fan controller

Axle GTX 660 GTX660-2G-D5 2GB GDDR5 >> sold to sk
Gigabyte GTX 660 GV-N660OC-2GD 2GB GDDR5 >> sold via ikman

|R4PT0R|

Offline Zer0

• View Profile
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 10:26:39 pm »
1. 100 fps on 144Hz, how is screen tearing?and if you hab 160fps on game but your monitor is 144hz, tearing still can occur is it> is it true that tearing is less noticeable when higher the refresh rate?
Screen tearing happens when your FPS goes in sync and then out of sync with your refresh rate. Eg - if your monitor is 60hz, you'll see tearing when your FPS goes from 59 to 60 to 61, or the other way around. It sometimes happens at multipliers as well (at 30fps or 120 fps, using the same example). On a 144hz monitor, it can happen the same way at 144hz, 288hz or 72hz.

2. what is adaptive sync. is it with amd or intel or for both?  ::)
Adaptive sync is the common name for the technology that syncs your refresh rate to your FPS. G-Sync and FreeSync are the brand names used by Nvidia and AMD for their own implementation of this technology. Pretty much any gaming monitor with a display port has Adaptive sync these days.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 12:56:30 am »

well, I was just giving my opinion and your correct and I learned something as well :) thanks
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7GHz GHz 8-Core Processor (OC to 4.3Ghz) w/ Cooler Master ML 120L RGB water cooling system | Motherboard : ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING |CASING: MASTERBOX MB500 TUF GAMING EDITION | RAM : TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta TUF DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz | GPU :  PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GDDR6 | Storage : Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 5400RPM + Seagate BarraCuda 1TB Internal Hard Drive HDD + Toshiba 256G SSD 2TB HDD | Power Supply : EVGA - 1000W ATX /EPS 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black | Primary Display : MSI 24" Curved Freesync Monitor 144 Hz | Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB Tunable Gaming Mouse, | Gaming Headset :Steel series arctis 3 | Gaming Keyboard: Steel series Apex 7 TKL w/ hyperX KC| Mousepad : SteelSeries QcK Dota 2 TI9 Edition Gaming Surface
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 08:43:37 pm »
Screen tearing happens when your FPS goes in sync and then out of sync with your refresh rate. Eg - if your monitor is 60hz, you'll see tearing when your FPS goes from 59 to 60 to 61, or the other way around. It sometimes happens at multipliers as well (at 30fps or 120 fps, using the same example). On a 144hz monitor, it can happen the same way at 144hz, 288hz or 72hz.
Adaptive sync is the common name for the technology that syncs your refresh rate to your FPS. G-Sync and FreeSync are the brand names used by Nvidia and AMD for their own implementation of this technology. Pretty much any gaming monitor with a display port has Adaptive sync these days.
I have a samsung s27s590 1080p 60hz monitor with 1070. I play apex and modernwarfare, and screen tearing is very noticeable to my eye when taking a sharp turn. I use high dps/ high sensitivity settings for quick reflexes(not have that:yet though :D) it is unnoticeable due to lag, when I hit 36-45fps but when i reach 70-80 fps also tearing is visible. vsync reduces that in apex, but the movements seems like bit slow-motion than rapid/quick motions.

Im thinking of moving to 144hz to get rid of this, but my games wont reach to that high fps. Ideal scenario as I understood is g-sync / free-sync but those monitors are extremely expensive that i cannot afford :/

<Current Rig>

Core i5 6600k oc @4.2Ghz 1.25V | Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170x Gaming 3 | 2 x G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16-8GTZB @ 15-15-15-35 on 2933Mhz 1.32V 32GB DDR4 | ASUS Strix OC GTX 1070 8G |  Raidmax Cobra 120mm Hydro Cooler | WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX x2 | Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 | Seasonic G550 Gold Semi-Modular | 2 x Asus Green DVD-RW 24x SATA | Raidmax Vortex v5 with 2x CM Jet-Flo LED 120mm + Raidmax Native 120mm Fan | Samsung S27D590 27" PLS| Asus Cerberus MK II Back-lit Keyboard |  Asus STRIX Mousemat + Razer Golliathus Large | Razer Basilisk FPS Mouse | Sennhieser PC 320 G4ME Headset + Corsair Void Elite Wireless |  Microlab M-200 2.1 Speaker System

<-- Hall of Fame -->
Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.4Ghz | MSI P43T-C51 | Corsair Gaming 2GBx2[CGM2X2G800] + Corsair XMS2 2GBx1[CM2X2048-6400C5] 6GB [email protected] 412Mhz x2 | Axle 210G 1GB GDDR3 | 19" Viewsonic VA903-3Series | Antec IPA-450 PSU | Asus DVD-RW 18x IDE |  Silverstone 120mm LED Blue |5.25 Media Dashboard Front USB 3.0 Expansion Bay+ Fan controller

|R4PT0R|

Offline Zer0

• View Profile
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 07:56:14 pm »
Im thinking of moving to 144hz to get rid of this, but my games wont reach to that high fps. Ideal scenario as I understood is g-sync / free-sync but those monitors are extremely expensive that i cannot afford :/
Any 144hz monitor you buy these days should have adaptive sync by default.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 12:15:46 pm »
Any 144hz monitor you buy these days should have adaptive sync by default.

MSI 24" Optix G24C4 144hz Curved - this one?
<Current Rig>

<-- Hall of Fame -->

|R4PT0R|

Offline Zer0

• View Profile
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 05:05:26 pm »
MSI 24" Optix G24C4 144hz Curved - this one?
Would highly recommend a Asus VG249Q instead.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 10:32:03 pm »
Would highly recommend a Asus VG249Q instead.

you think non-curved is ok?
<Current Rig>

<-- Hall of Fame -->

|R4PT0R|

Offline Zer0

• View Profile
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 09:15:09 pm »
you think non-curved is ok?
What makes you think curved is better? Would you really struggle to keep focus on a screen that's barely 15 inches across? A curved screen is only useful if you're working with a large 30+ inch ultrawide. Anything smaller and it's just a gimmick.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 10:09:14 pm »
What makes you think curved is better? Would you really struggle to keep focus on a screen that's barely 15 inches across? A curved screen is only useful if you're working with a large 30+ inch ultrawide. Anything smaller and it's just a gimmick.
THANK YOU! i really wanted to feel that but also felt its bit boasted and images may skew if you didnt sit on right spot. thanks for the comments! appreciate (Y)
<Current Rig>

<-- Hall of Fame -->

|R4PT0R|