web analytics
PC destroyed by mice. Need help rebuilding
« on: April 13, 2019, 02:31:01 pm »
I have an RLG Sniper PC (bought back in 2015 I believe) that has been gathering dust for the last year. I finally decided to revive it again when I found out that the cabling has been destroyed by mice!

Upon closer inspection, the most damage has been caused to the cables that connect to the case fans and power outlets (USB, power button, etc) and 1 peripheral cable from the power supply.

The following components are intact:

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5
Graphics card: GTX 960
RAM: 8 GB
Power Supply: FSP Hyper M 500 (1 peripheral cable destroyed, but the built-in 24 pin and 8 pin connectors are alive and well)
Processor: whatever the i5 model that was put into RLG PCs back in 15. ( Could be the i5 4590. not sure)
Hard drive: 1 TB

I was thinking of just getting a new case and assembling the PC with these components but I am also wary that the specs might be a bit outdated for 2019. if you guys have better ideas on how I can best utilize what I have now, please help me out! I would mainly use this for gaming and development work.

Budget: 50k (willing to stretch this if required)

Re: PC destroyed by mice. Need help rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 05:23:09 pm »
wtf
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:11:27 pm »
yep
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:42:06 pm »
get the cheapest case available (like below 10K) so the case is done.
then its just simply transferring what you have to the new one.
that is the most basic thing to do.
then get a SSD for you OS drive. put win 10 in to it and you can play the games. but don't expect high performance as that VGA is not built to handle any modern high resource demanding game like say GTA V, Deus EX MD etc. but still you can play those games at lower settings so you are not at a complete lost. to get to this point you will have to spend about 25 to 30K i guess. after that its up to you.  :)

ICE lake is about to release in this year and that will turn tables. if you can wait until that you can jump to a proper new platform. i'm also waiting for ice lake in order to jump to a new platform.

Asus z390-P, intel i5 9400, corsair vengence RGB DDR4 16GB*2 @ 2666Mhz, EVGA RTX 2070 black edition, ADATA XPG 240GB NVMe SSD,WD 1TB HD,ADATA XPG Pro 1TB NVMe, samsung evo 850 250gb SSD, Corsair graphite 760T white enclosure, Logitech Z5500 sound system, Acer Predator XB273K monitor,Corsair STRAFE RGB MX RED key board, Logitec G502 protius core mouse, corsair RM750x white PSU
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 12:44:21 am »
get the cheapest case available (like below 10K) so the case is done.
then its just simply transferring what you have to the new one.
that is the most basic thing to do.
then get a SSD for you OS drive. put win 10 in to it and you can play the games. but don't expect high performance as that VGA is not built to handle any modern high resource demanding game like say GTA V, Deus EX MD etc. but still you can play those games at lower settings so you are not at a complete lost. to get to this point you will have to spend about 25 to 30K i guess. after that its up to you.  :)

ICE lake is about to release in this year and that will turn tables. if you can wait until that you can jump to a proper new platform. i'm also waiting for ice lake in order to jump to a new platform.

Thank you for the reply! This seems like the best way forward :) Do you know if the cases come with cooling fans or would I need to buy them separately?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 09:59:48 pm »
depends on the case actually. some have no fans and some comes at least 1 in front and 1 in back. please get a  case that have at least 1 in front and 1 in a back. dose not need them if you are in a AC room  ;D
Asus z390-P, intel i5 9400, corsair vengence RGB DDR4 16GB*2 @ 2666Mhz, EVGA RTX 2070 black edition, ADATA XPG 240GB NVMe SSD,WD 1TB HD,ADATA XPG Pro 1TB NVMe, samsung evo 850 250gb SSD, Corsair graphite 760T white enclosure, Logitech Z5500 sound system, Acer Predator XB273K monitor,Corsair STRAFE RGB MX RED key board, Logitec G502 protius core mouse, corsair RM750x white PSU

Offline Zer0

• Because zero f***s given
    • View Profile
    • Do you like berries?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 10:13:31 am »
Hey,

Please bring over your PSU to have it tested before you plug it in. A damaged PSU could be a fire hazard. We'll do the initial testing for you.

You can do a lot with a 50k budget. If the card still works, it'll carry atleast 15k in resale value, if not more. With 65k to work with, you can get yourself a GTX 1660, a small SSD and a decent case. You should be able to comfortably play current games at near max settings with that setup.