Shipping to Sri Lanka need advice.
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:41:00 am »
Iím thinking of buying an item off amazon or eBay or even get it sent by a relative.I want to know the procedures or anything a newbie like me should know.Once I pay for shipping and the item arrives in Sri Lanka customs do they deliver it or am I given notice it has arrived?.Do I know somehow where the product is? Which location in Sri Lanka where it is being kept after shipping?how do I pay the duty or even figure out how much the duty is?

I know some of you guys may suggest kapruka but I prefer to just learn about this before taking the easy way.
Thanks hopefully I can get some help
Re: Shipping to Sri Lanka need advice.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:18:14 am »
Once I pay for shipping and the item arrives in Sri Lanka customs do they deliver it or am I given notice it has arrived?

Given that the vendor ship the item you bought directly to Sri Lanka, it may or may not get hauled up at the customs. Usually all packages must declare what's inside and for what purpose it's sent. But if they suspect they need to see what's inside the package they send you a letter to visit the main postal branch. (Be sure to get there before the date they have mentioned or otherwise the package is confiscated.) Then they ask what's inside and then open it up in front of you. After examining you will be either be taxed or not depending on whether the items inside are taxable. (Make sure you know what are considered as contraband in Sri Lanka or require special permits to import, in either case of violation you're in trouble.)

If you didn't receive such notice after 3-4 weeks since you bought the item just be patient and wait and it'll be delivered to the address you've provided when buying the item.

Given that they do not directly ship the item to Sri Lanka then you will have to acquire the services of a shipping provider. Which in that case a lot of hassle is dealt for you including customs. So be ready to pay.

Do I know somehow where the product is?

It depends on whether you chose tracked shipping. Do not expect to receive updates after receiving at Sri Lanka though.

In case of acquiring the services of a shipping provider then they will send updates to you.

Which location in Sri Lanka where it is being kept after shipping?
Here https://www.google.lk/maps/@6.9324511,79.8509794,3a,58.4y,68.08h,95.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7rhFsFvMsFXybci_CqkK9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

how do I pay the duty or even figure out how much the duty is?

If you've been asked to visit the main postal branch then it all depends on what's inside and whom it opens. (IYKWIM ;))(Do not lie or say you didn't know this and that was also inside, be very descriptive) If you need to find more info browse through here and see if you can find anything useful. http://www.customs.gov.lk/tariffchanges/home

If you need to acquire the services of a shipping provider then most of these things are estimated before hand.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:22:41 am by xearonsklavesky »

Offline HooDzoR~

• n00b Alliance
  • Embrace The Shadow.....
    • View Profile
    • n00b Alliance
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:48:51 am »
Once I pay for shipping and the item arrives in Sri Lanka customs do they deliver it or am I given notice it has arrived?

Given that the vendor ship the item you bought directly to Sri Lanka, it may or may not get hauled up at the customs. Usually all packages must declare what's inside and for what purpose it's sent. But if they suspect they need to see what's inside the package they send you a letter to visit the main postal branch. (Be sure to get there before the date they have mentioned or otherwise the package is confiscated.) Then they ask what's inside and then open it up in front of you. After examining you will be either be taxed or not depending on whether the items inside are taxable. (Make sure you know what are considered as contraband in Sri Lanka or require special permits to import, in either case of violation you're in trouble.)

If you didn't receive such notice after 3-4 weeks since you bought the item just be patient and wait and it'll be delivered to the address you've provided when buying the item.

Given that they do not directly ship the item to Sri Lanka then you will have to acquire the services of a shipping provider. Which in that case a lot of hassle is dealt for you including customs. So be ready to pay.

Do I know somehow where the product is?

It depends on whether you chose tracked shipping. Do not expect to receive updates after receiving at Sri Lanka though.

In case of acquiring the services of a shipping provider then they will send updates to you.

Which location in Sri Lanka where it is being kept after shipping?
Here https://www.google.lk/maps/@6.9324511,79.8509794,3a,58.4y,68.08h,95.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7rhFsFvMsFXybci_CqkK9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

how do I pay the duty or even figure out how much the duty is?

If you've been asked to visit the main postal branch then it all depends on what's inside and whom it opens. (IYKWIM ;))(Do not lie or say you didn't know this and that was also inside, be very descriptive) If you need to find more info browse through here and see if you can find anything useful. http://www.customs.gov.lk/tariffchanges/home

If you need to acquire the services of a shipping provider then most of these things are estimated before hand.

u deserve a cookie for this reply  ;D
Intel Core i5 6500 | Subzero Frostbite | Gigabyte B250M-D3H | Team Elite Plus 16GB DDR4 2400MHz | Western Digital Blue 1TB |Sansung 850 Evo 250GB | FSP Hexa+ 550 | Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1.Gaming 6GB GDDR5 | Raidmax Ninja II | Samsung S24D300 24" | Sennheiser PC320 G4ME | Logitech G430 | Razer Blackwidow Utimate Stealth | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Razer Goliathus Extended

Offline asrock

• I love Gamer.LK :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:18:47 am »
I order lot of items from eBay, every single one got delivered to my doorstep by local post. I never got taxed or had to go to the local post office. Duty and tax depends on the item you are bringing, if its very expensive you are likely to get taxed, again it depends on type of item. I don't know about computer parts but I've heard camera items get taxed. Usually I get cheap items, the most expensive items that I bought down was a dash cam worth $200 or something and 2 IP CCTV cams worth $150 or so each. Didn't get taxed for any of them. If the item is expensive the seller gives tracking most of the time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:24:18 am by asrock »
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14:13 pm »
ok when it comes to amazon,

since you shipping address (assuming you have a amazon account)points sri lanka not all items are going to be shipped. in all such situations amazon will let you know it by putting out a sentence in the product page stating this items not shipping to Sri lanka or something similar to that. (please read and understand everything on the product page).in that case you needs to find (if any) other seller who is sending it to sri lanka. amazon will display item price and a shipping and import tax amount separately which you needs to pay if the item is shipping to sri lanka. but this dose not means the shipping and tax amount is always will be true. in the case where the actual amount  is less than the amount you payed amazon will let you know about it and refund the balance to your CC.

ebay:-

[1]please always get items only from the sellers who are marked as top sellers. you can id them easily cos they have a yellow round badge that goes with them.

[2] create a paypal account(its free) and add your CC to it. verify it and you are done with paypal

[3] when you buy an item look what kind of paying methods that the seller is supporting. all top sellers usually support payment through paypal. so always choose to pay via paypal. this way you are disclosing your cc details to only one party (paypal) and you are addeing another layer of protection for your money.

[4] only buy new items and for all doubts that you may have before buying a item, contact the seller and clarify everything.

newegg:-

no they do not ship any item to Sri Lanka so you need to put someone trustworthy in USA as the shipping address. payment can be done via paypal.

hope this helps and good luck with your on line shopping.  (Y)
i7 4770, EVGA RTX 2070 black gaming edition,G skill Ripjaws X series 8gb*2  DDR3 RAM, Creative X-fi fatality champion pro sound card, Asus Z97-PRO GAMER , ADATA XPG 240GB NVMe SSD,WD 1TB HD,ADATA XPG Pro 1TB NVMe, samsung evo 850 250gb SSD, Corsair graphite 760T white enclosure, Logitech Z5500 sound system, AOC 24" IPS LED back lit monitor,Corsair STRAFE RGB MX RED key board, Logitec G502 protius core mouse, corsair RM750x white PSU.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 12:19:51 am »
newegg:-

no they do not ship any item to Sri Lanka so you need to put someone trustworthy in USA as the shipping address. payment can be done via paypal.

hope this helps and good luck with your on line shopping.  (Y)
Say someone buy it for me in US (I have relatives there), What is cheapest and reliable way to ship it to Sri Lanka. Like headphone or something.
AMD Ryzenô 5 1600 @ 3.6GHz|ASUS Prime B350-Plus|Team T-Force Dark DDR4-3000 8GB|SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 480|Seasonic G550W 80+ Gold|Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass|Samsung 850 Evo 250GB with 1TB+2TB HDD|Gigabyte Force K85|Logitech G402|SteelSeries QcK Heavy|Logitech F310|Superlux HD668B

Offline asrock

• I love Gamer.LK :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 12:27:40 am »
I like to add something to eBay purchases, even if your item doesn't arrive or if it doesn't match the original listing description or if its damaged you can open a dispute with eBay or paypal. If you have a genuine case eBay will part with you and offer you a full refund. Sometimes you will get to keep the defective item as well, imho nothing much to worry about purchasing items from eBay, the buyers are pretty well covered. Even if you get scammed you won't loose your money. Only waste would be your time and effort.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 08:55:51 am »
bump
intel core i5 4590 3.3ghz | coolermaster 212x | nvidia geforce gtx 970 |Kingston HyperX Fury 4GBx2 DDR 3| gigabyte h81m- s2pv |