Offline Rav

• KTHX!
  • Gamer.LK
    • View Profile
PC House Regional Distributor for AMD in Sri Lanka
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:53:04 pm »
Advanced MICRO Devices (NYSE: AMD) on Tuesday announced that it has entered into a strategic agreement with PC House, Sri Lanka and appointed it as the sole regional distributor for the Sri Lankan region.

I guess this means we can start buying ATI cards direct!

Article - http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections/frmNewsDetailView.aspx?ARTID=35445
Re: PC House Regional Distributor for AMD in Sri Lanka
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:40:47 pm »
ATI FTW! Does this also mean that prices of ATI cards will be less?

Offline EGS

• For the Best Support Service Call EGS
    • View Profile
    • EGS Website
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:56:01 pm »
This is the 4th Distributor for AMD in SL. Still AMD has not been able to get even 5% of Intel Sales.

ATI does not sell or Make VGA Cards they only hv the Chipset which ASUS / MSI /Gigabyte/ Foxconn buy and make. PCH is a disti for 3 brands so they still hv them
E-Globe Solutions Pvt Ltd., 87 5th Lane, Colombo 3. Tel : 0777-802534 / 4795632 / 4718517
For Branded Desktop / Laptop & EGS PC, Gaming Needs from Power Supply, Chassis, VGA cards to PC Accessories, UPS, Printers, NUC & Many More
www.eglobe.lk  www.fb.com/egs.lk

Offline Rav

• KTHX!
  • Gamer.LK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:29:27 am »
This is the 4th Distributor for AMD in SL.

But the article say "sole regional distributor in Sri Lanka"

it has entered into a strategic agreement with PC House, Sri Lanka and appointed it as the sole regional distributor for the Sri Lankan region.

But yea, I understand how Intel has a huge majority over AMD in SL.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 01:07:29 am »
hmmmm did they have to choose pc house of all places? :( sigh... but then again, amd's yet to come up with a decent processor after the a64... but as for their cards.... :D

Offline Infernez

• Don't strive to be perfect. Strive for excellence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 02:11:29 am »
Perhaps after the agreement PC house became sole agents? o.0

One reason for AMD processors not to get famous in SL, is the heat that it generates. Earlier days , because of the heat which it generated and lack of proper cooling tech, AMD processor life was short.Intel was the stable and good processor in the market. Even tho now the story has changed regarding cooling, still people stick to Intel, which they are used to.

@ Scrin :
IMO thats because AMD owns ATI, means, ATI got the AMD Microsprocessor technologies, not only GPU techs of former ATi , where as their competitors nVidia got only their own technology.
 Just my opinion:)

Offline RamEEz

• AzgardPrime
  • Founder : n00b Alliance
    • View Profile
    • Raptorcore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:32:12 am »
afaik the reason why AMD was dropped by all the resellers was couple of years back a fake duron processor got into the SL market, well i am not sure whether to call it fake but when started having loads of blue screens i looked into the specs of the proc and nowhere online i could find the mentioned model not even on AMD site..., and i got it replace with a different model, after a few weeks when i went back to the store they told me most of the shops are going to stop AMD coz most of em got blasted by customers for faulty processors.... and they no longer wish to cater with AMD..... and that's where people started to stop buying AMD but the excuse went on as too much heat....

i think why PC House got the deal from all other places is coz PC Hosue was the only people who kept giving away AMD till now (half the unity plaza's shops are branches of PC House with different names, you will notice how when you buy something from most of the shops you still have to take the order invoice to PC house wear house on the TOP floor to get your stuff :D)

Offline EGS

• For the Best Support Service Call EGS
    • View Profile
    • EGS Website
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:13:16 am »
When I said the 4th Disti, the others are no more AMD has been going to many requesting to take their product and 3 others took including PCH later it moved and now PCH has got it again. This is since none can do hope PCH will keep to AMD request. But I dont think.
E-Globe Solutions Pvt Ltd., 87 5th Lane, Colombo 3. Tel : 0777-802534 / 4795632 / 4718517
For Branded Desktop / Laptop & EGS PC, Gaming Needs from Power Supply, Chassis, VGA cards to PC Accessories, UPS, Printers, NUC & Many More
www.eglobe.lk  www.fb.com/egs.lk
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 08:45:26 pm »
Good marketing is what has been lacking cause the average person has Intel and Pentium embedded in their brain... AMD had such a huge opportunity to capture the market during the P4 era, cause really had a huge lead there, but with the C2D performing so well and at such great prices, AMD will need very VERY good marketing campaign if they want to capture an acceptable market share here.

And PC House may turn out to be a good partner... I mean they already sold Panora to major govt. agencies and private firms such as banks and stuff as well, although it would be more appropriate to say the they got them to buy Panora... :P so if Panora were to become AMD only, then they already have a base to start with, the rest they can buy with brib... i mean incentives  ;D