Please be educated about SOPA this will affect us too
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:02:08 pm »

SOPA explicitly states that companies will be liable for everything their users post. Sites like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Wikipedia, or any sites that allow user generated content CANNOT exist under these laws. Immediately after this bill is passed, you will see the media mafia (MPIAA, RIAA, etc) replacing websites like Wikipedia with commercialized encyclopedia software. Mainstream media outlets will not cover this bill because they are the ones lobbying for it.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/news/legal/this-is-sopa-you-might-want-to-protest-it/

Offline dINk

• n00b Alliance
  • - nA - Aphrodiziac
    • View Profile
Re: Please be educated about SOPA this will affect us too
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:27:08 pm »
Thank you for this. Been hearing a lot about SOPA lately but never really understood the seriousness of it. Good share man! (Y)

Offline ozone

• Be yourself!
    • View Profile

I May Not Be Perfect.But I'm Always Me!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:14:56 pm »
does anybody how this topic really came up?. there should be a real good reason for happening this. and does it only affect site owners registered in usa? im sorry for all these questions coz i dint really paid attention to this topic.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »
does anybody how this topic really came up?. there should be a real good reason for happening this. and does it only affect site owners registered in usa? im sorry for all these questions coz i dint really paid attention to this topic.

Read the article first.

Offline MADNESSSsss

• Death Company
  • BaaaBaaaBaaBaaBaanana \:D/
    • View Profile
    • Xiphos Esports
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:03:21 pm »
Thats a pretty cool article... Puts up everything you should know in an easy to understand manner
BattleDroid-A1
Core i5 4590K @3.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 1070 8GB | 120GB SSD | 2TB + 1TB HDD | Acer XG270HU 144hz 2K Monitor |  SteelSeries Arctis 5 Dota Edition | Zowie FK 1+  | SteelSeries Qck+ Fnatic Edition
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »
and does it only affect site owners registered in usa?

Yes, this is a US-only law.....at least for the moment, until most countries in the world decide to adopt it as well.
HP Pavilion DV4-3006tx | Intel Core i5-2410m | 4GB DDR3-1333 | AMD Radeon HD 6750m 1GB GDDR5 | 640HB HDD | Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium

Offline dINk

• n00b Alliance
  • - nA - Aphrodiziac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:48:55 pm »
If/when the US does approves this it won't be long before other countries follow suit.

Offline mumble

• Falsus Divertimento
  • Sir Psycho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »
SOPA in it's current form appears to have been scrapped (tomato sauce), but I'm worried too many people will look at this as a victory, become complacent and allow PIPA or another version of SOPA to be passed. These bills must be CRUSHED. A comment on reddit pointed out that with SOPA around, some people actually praised DMCA even though it has been abused.
HE-MEN.Splendid
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:03:36 pm »
Well i read it and they need to really consider again domain blocking and ip blocking law. Actions against piracy is really good actually im quite ok with it and it makes sense (although i download pirated copies).

blocking domains is really absurd. they have scrap that out if not inet is going to be a lonely desert. and i think (but im not quite sure) the gov wants to take charge of the cyber space as well so they can send their watchdogs and hunt down their own enemies/threats, obviously learning from what happened in the middle east.

Offline Xyb3r

• n00b Alliance
  • “If the enemy is in range, so are you.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:09:32 pm »
Yet another typical scenario of an economic problem tackled in a very impractical fashion by a government. For interested readers here is how.

The US economy is failing & the government is facing a debt crisis. In order to pay their debts the US government has to cut down on public incentives like domestic spending & interest payments. This ultimately leads to issues such as unemployment due to outflow of cash into foreign soil.

So for those who were keen enough to read the original article (http://www.technobuffalo.com/news/legal/this-is-sopa-you-might-want-to-protest-it/), when SOPA states that rogue sites "threaten more than 19 million American jobs", they also should have stated "those American jobs above stated are under a more imminent threat from the contracting economy" which would have been more politically correct. From companies point of view American labour is very expensive & hence they turn to countries like China & Indonesia for production out sourcing which makes it even worse a scenario for US economically. The only industry that have not suffered the profound implications of the debt crisis in US is the IT industry simply because of the reason that they have established a near monopolistic market globally.

A country should always focus its strategies based on their strengths, which in US is IT. So the government rightfully tries to do so in utmost good faith by way of SOPA. But that's when things go bad because be SL, be US politicians are politicians & they always will be often ill educated about real national requirements.

The core thinking behind SOPA is that it will render the IT industry generating more revenue by limiting piracy through th www. However it's implications in my opinion would be far fetched from that. Most IT giants have huge cash reserves which they can and would surely use to completely move out of US & start operations on foreign soil thereby not having to abide by SOPA or even the whole of US jurisdiction. It is pretty narrow to think that sites like Facebook or Twitter  would shut down/change due to SOPA. In fact I'm sure many of you would find it surprising that certain IT giants in the Silicon Valley have bigger cash reserves elsewhere compared to what they have in USA. So in conclusion the only thing SOPA would actually do in my opinion is cripple the US economy further.

Offline mumble

• Falsus Divertimento
  • Sir Psycho
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
The worst part is they're so critical of Chinese internet censorship, but this bill would allow domain blocking without warrants. And a lot of the companies supporting the bill weren't even US based :/
HE-MEN.Splendid

Offline Xyb3r

• n00b Alliance
  • “If the enemy is in range, so are you.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:27:02 pm »
And a lot of the companies supporting the bill weren't even US based :/

Yes, thus allowing US to dig its own grave.

Offline D4R

• Death is the road. Life is the traveller !
    • View Profile
    • Great deals on Amazon
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:19 pm »
f*** :S

My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night.
In between, I occupy myself as best I can

Intel Core i5 4570 @3.20Ghz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr Gaming OC 2GB| 8GB DDR3 GSkill 1333Mhz | Gigabyte H81M-S2PV |Logitech G35 7.1 Gaming Headset | Logitech G400S Gaming Mouse |Samsung E2220X 22" 1080p LED Backlit | Cooler Master GXII 550W PSU | Cooler Master X Dream i117 CPU Cooler | Antec GX700 | Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Great Deals On Amazon And GMG:
http://amazonawesomedeals.blogspot.com/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=josivubo

My Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/d4r
if anyone has sent me a request and I haven't accepted, please let me know your id. many russian scammers send request every day and it's hard to figure out which one to accept

Offline D4R

• Death is the road. Life is the traveller !
    • View Profile
    • Great deals on Amazon
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:30 pm »

WHY NOT JUST PUT EVERY SINGLE PERSON WITH A COMPUTER IN JAIL. BECAUSE IM PRETTY SURE EVERYONE AT LEAST ONCE DOWNLOADED A SONG OR SOMETHING!

My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night.
In between, I occupy myself as best I can

Intel Core i5 4570 @3.20Ghz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr Gaming OC 2GB| 8GB DDR3 GSkill 1333Mhz | Gigabyte H81M-S2PV |Logitech G35 7.1 Gaming Headset | Logitech G400S Gaming Mouse |Samsung E2220X 22" 1080p LED Backlit | Cooler Master GXII 550W PSU | Cooler Master X Dream i117 CPU Cooler | Antec GX700 | Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Great Deals On Amazon And GMG:
http://amazonawesomedeals.blogspot.com/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=josivubo

My Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/d4r
if anyone has sent me a request and I haven't accepted, please let me know your id. many russian scammers send request every day and it's hard to figure out which one to accept