web analytics
GLK Team Ranking System
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:43:33 pm »
Guys can the admins please inform us how the ranking system works, if there is any thread that shows the way the points are added to each team can you direct us ? I need to know the tournaments that are played by the top rank teams and how the points were given. This is just to clear the doubt i had for a long time. I'm sure other cod4 players would also agree with me. Thank You :)

Ex :- Team Morph Outlaws,

SLCG - 15 points 3 matches etc etc.
SLCG Kandy - 10 points 5 matches etc etc.

I hope i made myself clear.

Offline Rav

• KTHX!
  • Gamer.LK
    • View Profile
Re: GLK Team Ranking System
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:44:15 am »
Glad you asked.

Firstly, this ranking system was put together by the Sri Lanka e-Sports Association which consists of senior members from all major clans in the country, and GLK.

Buckle up - some reading and math ahead. This is from SLeSA ranking documentation that we put together. We won't be going into details of what teams got what points from tournaments, but you're welcome to calculate it for yourself and see.

What is it?
Itís a non biased ranking system solely based on player/team performance and a value each tournament qualified carries with it called The K-value.

To better understand the idea of ELO Ranking, in plain simple words, we will make 5 imaginary teams (A, B, C, D, E, F) and 3 tournaments (T1, T2, SLCG). When ELO Ranking is first introduced all players/teams start with a default value. Letís say 1000. So,

ELO Ranking of teams
A - 1000
B - 1000
C - 1000
D - 1000
E - 1000

Now, when these 5 teams go on and play matches with each other teams in ELO Ranking qualified tournaments based on their performance in each match the ELO Ranking is calculated.

What is an ELO Ranking qualified tournament?
Itís a tournament which the governing body identifies as an ELO Ranking qualified tournament.

What makes a tournament qualified?
Tournament standards
- Tournament should be open to all
- A public announcement should be made at least 2 weeks prior to the event
- The draws should be made public before the start of the event
- Draws should be created based on accepted seedings
- Tournament should have acceptable rules and formats

Why a tournament needs to qualify?
In order for the ELO Ranking system to work properly each tournament must carry a certain value with it. This value is determined by e-Sports governing body based on itís standards.

In common sense, there is a big difference in a tournament held in an institute lab compared to SLCG both standard and competition wise. If our imaginary team A win matches at both institute lab tournament and at SLCG it is logical for them earn a higher rank at SLCG. This is tied with whatís known as the K-Value in ELO Ranking formula.

So, letís assume the tournament K-Values stands as follows,

Tournament K-Values
Online tournaments - 150
LAN small (KoL, cafe tournaments etc) - 250
LAN big (SLCG etc) - 500

So a final value for each tournament is calculated by the governing body based on each of these set criteria met by each tournament.

By now we stand at this point, we have 5 teams with a starting default value of 1600 each,

A - 1600
B - 1600
C - 1600
D - 1600
E - 1600

And 3 tournaments carrying 3 different K-Values based on their standards (At this point I should mention that if a tournament needs to increase their K-Value they just simply have to meet more standards thus improving the overall quality of the tournament),

T1 - 100
T2 - 150
SLCG - 500

The math
Letís assume teams A and B had a match in T1. First we need to calculate each teamís win probability.

Win Probability = 1 / 10^((1600 - 1600) / 400) + 1

So team Aís win probability is 0.5 as well as team Bís. With that they play the match. And letís say team A won. Now itís time to calculate the new rankings.

Scoring Points can carry only 3 values based on the outcome of the match

1 - won
0.5 - draw
0 - lost

So team Aís new ranking would be,
New Rating = 1600 + (100 * (1 - 0.5)) = 1650

Team Bís new ranking would be,
New Rating = 1600 + (100 * (0 - 0.5)) = 1550

Now to better understand how tournament standards have an impact on the ranking letís assume and do the calculation as if it happened at SLCG.

Team Aís new ranking would be,
New Rating = 1600 + (500 * (1 - 0.5)) = 1850

Team Bís new ranking would be,
New Rating = 1600 + (500 * (0 - 0.5)) = 1350

So by participating in higher ELO Ranked tournaments (in turn higher standard tournaments) players/teams can gain or lose more.

Now the ELO Ranking stands as follows,

ELO Ranking of teams
1) A - 1650
2) B - 1550

Notice C, D, E is not yet ranked because theyíre yet to participate in a ranked tournament.
C - 1600
D - 1600
E - 1600

Now letís assume a second match between A and D at T1, A won.

Aís win probability = 1 / 10^((1600 - 1650) / 400) + 1 = 0.42
Dís win probability = 1 / 10^((1650 - 1600) / 400) + 1 = 0.09
Aís new ranking = 1650 + (100 * (1 - 0.42)) = 1708
Dís new ranking = 1600 + (100 * (0 - 0.09)) = 1591

Notice how D lost fewer points than B lost to A in first match. This is because D lost to a higher ranked team and B lost to an equal ranking team. The ELO Ranking makes sure itís not unfair to the newer teams to get into the system.

Now the ELO Ranking stands as follows,

ELO Ranking of teams
1) A - 1708
2) D - 1591
3) B - 1550

C - 1600
E - 1600

After this point you should be able to easily calculate the ranking per match for each players/teams. Simply before match calculate Win Probability then after match calculate New Ranking.

Reference
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/nsdragon/Tourney/EloRatings.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Note : 3-8-2013
A provisional period of 5 games will be established where the winner or loser still inside the provisional period will gain or lose a set value of 20. If one of the teams is outside the provisional period their new ranking will be calculated according to ELO formula mentioned above.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:59:21 am by Anoren »

Offline KauBoy

• Tech Morph
  • Vincere, quod est perire!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:08:19 am »
thats long :/
LYRA 2.0 Rig No: 3
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz (1.27V) | MSI Z87 MPOWER motherboard | Corsair H100i Hydro Cooler | Kingston HyperX Fury White 4GBx4 (16GB) @1866Mhz | Intel 530 Series 120GB SSD | Western Digital RE-Enterprise 1TB + Seagate Barracuda 500GB | 2 X Palit GTX 980ti Super Jetstream 6GB GDDR5 OC | Corssair RM750 750W 80+ Gold PSU | Steelseries Siberia 200 Headset | Corsair Vengeance K70 Keyboard | Steelseries Rival 700 Mouse | Steelseries QCK+ MouseMat| Corsair Carbide Seriesģ Clear 400C Chassis|

visit us @ www.tech-morph.com

Offline samroxs

• Tech Morph
  • KuZsTaR , Modly , Davy<3
    • View Profile
    • Tech-morph.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 01:39:46 am »
But rav when did this calculation started i mean late 2010 or 11 coz the 5 teams i can see is not the proper order some mis-calculation may be

Offline Rav

• KTHX!
  • Gamer.LK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 01:46:49 am »
But rav when did this calculation started i mean late 2010 or 11 coz the 5 teams i can see is not the proper order some mis-calculation may be

The two tournaments that have been held since we announced it have been taken into account:
- ReSpawn by Phoenix Gaming (Ranked tournament)
- SLCG '12

Where do you think the miscalculation has happened? PM me details please.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:49:20 am by Rav »
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:08:49 am »
@Raveen - I suggest you to post in detalied table (tournament, x team vs y team, calculation & points) of top 5 teams got their points. So people can have a better understanding abut the ranking system.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »
I agree with asus, thank you for showing us how the rankings are done. But what i really meant was that i wanted to know how you have applied it to the top ranked teams now. Maybe something like a excel sheet or even a topic regarding points added would be great, so every team knows how much they have and how much they want to get, i'm sure this is what asus also meant :D

Offline Xa[i]N

• Death Company
  • Wield as One. Bow to None
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »
I agree with asus, thank you for showing us how the rankings are done. But what i really meant was that i wanted to know how you have applied it to the top ranked teams now. Maybe something like a excel sheet or even a topic regarding points added would be great, so every team knows how much they have and how much they want to get, i'm sure this is what asus also meant :D

+1

Intel Core i7 950  | Asus Rampage III Formula | Corsair H80 |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 | AXLE 220 Phyx | CORAIR DDR3 12GB | Corsair 570W TX | 60GB Corsair Force GT SSD | 1.5TB+500GB  | 24"*2 Samsung | Razer BlackWidow  | Razer Death Adder | Razer Destructor | Razer Krakken 7.1 |  Raven 01 Casing |
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:06:01 pm »

you gave the detailed explanation. 

Offline samroxs

• Tech Morph
    • View Profile
    • Tech-morph.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »
Now letís assume a second match between A and D at T1, A won.

Aís win probability = 1 / 10^((1600 - 1650) / 400) + 1 = 0.42
Dís win probability = 1 / 10^((1650 - 1600) / 400) + 1 = 0.09
Aís new ranking = 1650 + (100 * (1 - 0.42)) = 1708
Dís new ranking = 1600 + (100 * (0 - 0.09)) = 1591

Notice how D lost fewer points than B lost to A in first match. This is because D lost to a higher ranked team and B lost to an equal ranking team. The ELO Ranking makes sure itís not unfair to the newer teams to get into the system.

I think this is not necessary for the ranking system because probability is useless unless the best team wins A or B  this is not guessing its all about the skill of the team

Offline mumble

• Falsus Divertimento
  • Sir Psycho
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 10:37:50 pm »
Ok, just to get an idea of what this looks like, I made an example spreadsheet of SLCG '12 (standard ELO calculations as in Rav's post and a K-value of 500, standard for SLCG). Link. Sorry for the shitty quality: I've never used google docs before.

Remember, these are NOT correct values since most of the teams were probably still in their provisional 5 game period. This is JUST AN EXAMPLE.

As you can see, since I had all teams starting out with 1600 points, teams that got knocked out early mostly have identical scores. In fact, the only difference in scores between teams that got knocked out in the same round is due to the round 1 byes. Of course this wont be the case in future tournaments since teams wont have the same starting score, but this should give you a basic idea of what the system looks like.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a member of the GLK staff and these scores are NOT official. I made this just for the heck of it and it's more than likely there are mistakes somewhere. If you happen to spot any, remember they are completely inconsequential because this spreadsheet is NOT official and is just something I made in my free time.

I think this is not necessary for the ranking system because probability is useless unless the best team wins A or B  this is not guessing its all about the skill of the team

Can you elaborate on that? This isn't about guessing which team will win. It's the "expected" score based on difference in ELO. It serves a LOT of purposes, for example it reduces the point gain/loss in one sided matches.

Edit: All data for thespreadsheet was taken from this.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:39:52 pm by mumble »
HE-MEN.Splendid

Offline V[i]P3R!

• Tech Morph
  • GanG 64 Gamerz & TECH Morph
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »
Where are we? FYI, Tech Morph OutLaws  ???

Offline samroxs

• Tech Morph
    • View Profile
    • Tech-morph.com
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 12:59:11 pm »
Ok, just to get an idea of what this looks like, I made an example spreadsheet of SLCG '12 (standard ELO calculations as in Rav's post and a K-value of 500, standard for SLCG). Link. Sorry for the shitty quality: I've never used google docs before.

Remember, these are NOT correct values since most of the teams were probably still in their provisional 5 game period. This is JUST AN EXAMPLE.

As you can see, since I had all teams starting out with 1600 points, teams that got knocked out early mostly have identical scores. In fact, the only difference in scores between teams that got knocked out in the same round is due to the round 1 byes. Of course this wont be the case in future tournaments since teams wont have the same starting score, but this should give you a basic idea of what the system looks like.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a member of the GLK staff and these scores are NOT official. I made this just for the heck of it and it's more than likely there are mistakes somewhere. If you happen to spot any, remember they are completely inconsequential because this spreadsheet is NOT official and is just something I made in my free time.

Can you elaborate on that? This isn't about guessing which team will win. It's the "expected" score based on difference in ELO. It serves a LOT of purposes, for example it reduces the point gain/loss in one sided matches.

Edit: All data for thespreadsheet was taken from this.

I think the best way is to show the five teams and how it goes even im lost now the main idea is when ever tournament comes the draw always gets screwed up  Best teams always fight each others at top other teams which i dont wana mentioned here goes easily from the bottom line  there is no feasibility here when it comes to ranking and creating draws. all the clan admins should be informed when it comes to these kind of situations . so that there will some balanced  this is what i heard this is what i saw in the previous both lans thats why i wanted to know how the ranking goes because the draw will create along with ranking correct me if im wrong
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 10:26:27 am »
Where are we? FYI, Tech Morph OutLaws  ???

You're welcome. I accept Visa/Mastercard/cash