Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Julieped

November 16, 2017, 11:22:14 pm
This message is posted here using XRumer + XEvil 4.0
XEvil 4.0 is a revolutionary application that can bypass almost any anti-botnet protection.
Captcha Recognition Google (ReCaptcha-1, ReCaptcha-2), Facebook, Yandex, VKontakte, Captcha Com and over 8.4 million other types!
You read this - it

Julieped

November 16, 2017, 11:22:12 pm
XEvil 4.0 is a revolutionary application that can bypass almost any anti-botnet protection.
Captcha Recognition Google (ReCaptcha-1, ReCaptcha-2), Facebook, Yandex, VKontakte, Captcha Com and over 8.4 million other types!
You read this - it

Julieped

November 14, 2017, 04:40:17 am
You read this - it

Julieped

November 14, 2017, 04:40:14 am
You read this - it

zaryamain

November 13, 2017, 03:39:10 pm
selling my brand new 2tb portable hdd for 10k :)

Show 50 latest
Members
  • Total Members: 19890
  • Latest: majyw
Stats
  • Total Posts: 389321
  • Total Topics: 32128
  • Online Today: 265
  • Online Ever: 385
  • (November 12, 2017, 08:13:02 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184

Author Topic: Choosing Motherboard  (Read 2585 times)

Offline dzn

• Noob
  • I am always out numbered but never out manned.
    • View Profile
Choosing Motherboard
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:42:25 am »
 :)

Hi All,

I'm new member here and i'm planing to assemble my first gaming rig.
Below is the rig i've planned and prices are from RedLine. I'm facing little issue selecting motherboard. MSI B-85 Gaming looks awesome and comes with 3yrs warranty. But Asus B85 Vanguard has 5yrs warranty and all the reviews on the web suggests ASUS over MSI.

But since MSI B85-G43 Gaming released recently than Asus vanguard some reviews suggest MSI is good. I'm really grateful any opinions about regarding this matter.

Processor :-
Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz Quad Core(4th Gen) -   27500.00
Mother Board :-
MSI B85-G43 Gaming - 16000.00 Or Asus B85 Vanguard - 17500.00
Graphics Card :-
Sapphire Radeon R9 270 Dual-X OC 2GB GDDR5 - 28000.00
RAM :-
Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB 1866Mhz DDR3 - 6500.00
HDD :-
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps - 8500.00
Powers Supply :-
FSP Hexa+ 500W - 7500.00
Casing :-
Raidmax Vortex V4 - 8000.00
KB & Mouse :-
Logitech G100S Gaming Combo - 4500.00
Display :-
Samsung S22D300HY 22" LED backlit monitor - 19500.00
DVD Writer :-
Samsung Sata Black DVD Writer - 2550.00
Total :- 128550.00

Offline DSCHANDRASENA

• Uber Pwnage
  • The Dragon Rider
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:59:01 am »
I would recommend going with the asus board purely bcoz of that extra 2yr warranty.Btw ur processor is an overkill for the graphics card. Even an i3 is enough for a R9 270. Invest more in the graphics card if u want a better gaming experience.
Primary - Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo P+P | Asus P8Z77-V-LX | GSkill Sniper 4x 4GB DDR 3 1600MHz | OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB | Toshiba Nearline Enterprise 2TB | Samsung Writemaster 24x DVD R/W | Seasonic G-Series 750W 80+ Gold | MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB GDDR5 | NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller | Corsair Obsidian 450D | ViewSonic 24" Full HD VX2451 mh-led | Creative Inspire 5.1 5200

Secondary - Intel Core i3 4130 | Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H | Kingston 8GB DDR 3 1600MHz | Samsung 500GB | LG 24x DVD R/W  | Seasonic G-Series 550W 80+ Gold | MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr Gaming 2GB GDDR5 | Antec GX700 | AOC I2369VM 23" Full HD IPS |  Creative Inspire 2.1 | Asus Xonar DGX

Offline Anusha

• Immortal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:20:18 am »
The first thing I checked with the boards was the audio chip. Usually manfacturers want to cheap out on the audio chip in the low end/mid range. As expected, Asus has a weak chip : the ALC887, but I was amazed to see the MSI coming occupied with the much superior ALC1150. So I would probably lean towards the MSI board with that alone.

The next thing I checked was whether either of them were using a crappy Realtek LAN. Luckily, the Asus uses an Intel LAN controller whereas the MSI is using one made by Killer. Intel is the best, but Killer isn't far off, so I would say they are a match. Both have good NICs.

Then I took a look at the SATA ports, and their orientation. Both of them have two of the SATA 6Gbps ports in vertical orientation, which I don't like, but since both are alike, cannot give points to either. In addition, both of them have the exact same number of SATA ports.

The MSI board has 8 USB ports on the rear I/O panel whereas the Asus has only 6. However, only 2 of MSI's USB ports are USB3.0 and Asus has 4 USB3.0 ports. I'm not sure if that really means much to anyone. But in my case, since I only have one USB3.0 device - a USB pen drive - and I plug it from the front, I would opt to go with the board that provides more expansion opportunities - which is the MSI board.

Remember that the Asus is a Micro ATX board thus the top most PCI-E slot is close to the CPU socket, which might limit your choice of air coolers. However since you cannot overclock your CPU, I bet you are not investing in a large air cooler, in which case this is a non-issue. i personally like Micro-ATX though, but that's just me. If you have a ATX board, then MSI board being larger would not cause any issues.

It is true that the Asus board comes with 5 year warranty, but you should ask yourself whether you would keep it for more than 3 years or not. However, when you try to sell it after 3 years but within 5 years, the Asus board will have the edge, because it would have some warranty remaining and people prefer parts with warranty to parts without.

Price is similar, although the Asus is a tad expensive. So I wouldn't really take this small difference into account. But if you have a tight budget, it yields in more points for the MSI.

All in all, I feel the MSI board is the better board in terms of features and specifications. Bare in mind that I haven't checked any of the reviews to see if there are any inherent issues with the MSI board.

Edit:
LOL that turned out like an essay :P

Offline Lashan Wanniarachchi

• Uber Pwnage
  • Smoking kills and also reveals your location !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:28:38 am »
Why not try Gigabyte H97M-D3H ?  (Y)

price - 16500
warranty - 3 years

It has really good reviews and Gigabyte is among the top motherboard makers.
It has a gold plated CPU socket and has ESD protection for USB and LAN and it also has anti surge ICs to protect against power surges. (Y)

It also has some useful utilities like DualBios and EasyTune. ;D
Although its Audio chip is almost the same as MSI one you mentioned :\.Try a separate sound card.
Core i5 2400 @3.1 GHz | Goddamn stock cooler
Gigabyte B75M-D3H Motherboard  |  2X4GB Kingston RAM DDR3 1333MHz
Asus PB278Q 1440p PLS Display (27") | Sapphire Nitro RX 480 8GB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  |  Total Hard Disk Storage = 6TB
Logitech G510S Gaming Keyboard  |  Logitech G403 Gaming Mouse
Seasonic X-650 PSU  |  Corsair Carbide 400R Case
2.1 MicroLab M500U Audio  |  Prolink 1200VA UPS

Offline Lashan Wanniarachchi

• Uber Pwnage
  • Smoking kills and also reveals your location !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:37:31 am »

RAM :-
Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB 1866Mhz DDR3 - 6500.00

Both boards you mentioned ( and the one I did) can only run at a maximum transfer rate of 1600Mhz.(I'm talking about RAM speed)) even if you coverclock them. :\
This is only due to the limitation of Intel® B85chipset.

And I would recommend going for a total RAM of at least 8GB just to be on the safe side. (Y)
Core i5 2400 @3.1 GHz | Goddamn stock cooler
Gigabyte B75M-D3H Motherboard  |  2X4GB Kingston RAM DDR3 1333MHz
Asus PB278Q 1440p PLS Display (27") | Sapphire Nitro RX 480 8GB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  |  Total Hard Disk Storage = 6TB
Logitech G510S Gaming Keyboard  |  Logitech G403 Gaming Mouse
Seasonic X-650 PSU  |  Corsair Carbide 400R Case
2.1 MicroLab M500U Audio  |  Prolink 1200VA UPS

Offline dzn

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:30:04 pm »
Thanks chandrasena, Anusha & Lashan.

I'll check that Gigabyte one too. I was also in favor of Asus but guy at RedLine suggests MSI Gaming is good one.  :)

I'm also planing to extend budget bit and go for R9 270x istead of 270.

Offline dzn

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 12:31:59 pm »
Anusha,

Yeah it's turned to be an essay. Thanks for the time you taken to give your opinion. Highly appreciated bro.

;D

The first thing I checked with the boards was the audio chip. Usually manfacturers want to cheap out on the audio chip in the low end/mid range. As expected, Asus has a weak chip : the ALC887, but I was amazed to see the MSI coming occupied with the much superior ALC1150. So I would probably lean towards the MSI board with that alone.

The next thing I checked was whether either of them were using a crappy Realtek LAN. Luckily, the Asus uses an Intel LAN controller whereas the MSI is using one made by Killer. Intel is the best, but Killer isn't far off, so I would say they are a match. Both have good NICs.

Then I took a look at the SATA ports, and their orientation. Both of them have two of the SATA 6Gbps ports in vertical orientation, which I don't like, but since both are alike, cannot give points to either. In addition, both of them have the exact same number of SATA ports.

The MSI board has 8 USB ports on the rear I/O panel whereas the Asus has only 6. However, only 2 of MSI's USB ports are USB3.0 and Asus has 4 USB3.0 ports. I'm not sure if that really means much to anyone. But in my case, since I only have one USB3.0 device - a USB pen drive - and I plug it from the front, I would opt to go with the board that provides more expansion opportunities - which is the MSI board.

Remember that the Asus is a Micro ATX board thus the top most PCI-E slot is close to the CPU socket, which might limit your choice of air coolers. However since you cannot overclock your CPU, I bet you are not investing in a large air cooler, in which case this is a non-issue. i personally like Micro-ATX though, but that's just me. If you have a ATX board, then MSI board being larger would not cause any issues.

It is true that the Asus board comes with 5 year warranty, but you should ask yourself whether you would keep it for more than 3 years or not. However, when you try to sell it after 3 years but within 5 years, the Asus board will have the edge, because it would have some warranty remaining and people prefer parts with warranty to parts without.

Price is similar, although the Asus is a tad expensive. So I wouldn't really take this small difference into account. But if you have a tight budget, it yields in more points for the MSI.

All in all, I feel the MSI board is the better board in terms of features and specifications. Bare in mind that I haven't checked any of the reviews to see if there are any inherent issues with the MSI board.

Edit:
LOL that turned out like an essay :P