what to do when you have a performance counter issue
« on: August 09, 2018, 12:03:34 pm »
Hi All

i just resolved (hopefully) an error that i saw like below

Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed

the above was in the applications log because i took the time to look at the logs. this is because all of a sudden when ever i play a game (regardless of the resource requirements) the OS all of a sudden halt where it even don't response to CRTL+ATL+DEL. so i resolved it as below

i loaded the command prompt as administrator
run the below command that usually should do the work
C:\Windows\system32>lodctr /R

but got the below error
Error: Unable to rebuild performance counter setting from system backup store, error code is 2

so...
C:\Windows\system32>cd ..

C:\Windows>cd syswow64

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>lodctr /R

Info: Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store
C:\Windows\SysWOW64>winmgmt.exe /RESYNCPERF

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>

after this you need to restart the system. im still doing tests for about 2 hours but the issue did not reappear. (Y) so i thought i should share with you guys as this might happen to anyone of you.  :)

my OS is win10 but i guess this should be ok for win7 and 8 as well.

if everything went smooth you should see the below entry in the applications logs once the counters were reloaded by the OS. it might happen immediately or it will happen a bit later.

"Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service were loaded successfully. The Record Data in the data section contains the new index values assigned to this service."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:43:33 pm by csm1o1 »
i7 4770, EVGA GTX 970, 2Gb*4 DDR3 ram, Creative X-fi fatality champion pro sound card, Asus Z97-PRO GAMER , WD 1TB HD, OCZ agility3 90Gb SSD, OCZ Arc 100 240gb SSD, cooler master elite 430 enclosure, Logitech Z5500 sound system, Samsung TOC 24" LCD,Corsair STRAFE RGB MX RED key board, Logitec G502 protius core mouse.