ARE SRI LANKAN COMPUTER STORES RIPPING OFF CUSTOMERS?
« on: July 21, 2018, 04:52:01 pm »
Due to crypto mining craze both nVidia and AMD GPU prices went sky high all around the globe in January 2018. Sri Lankan stores were synced too during this inflation.

But now, all the prices are almost back to their MSRP thanks to crypto bubble burst. You can find Gigabyte GTX 1080 card for it's original MSRP @ $500 in Amazon and BHPhotovideo.com https://amzn.to/2mAhLru
https://bhpho.to/2zUbZuh (This card should cost 130K or more in SL because GB 1070ti is 125K atm. 50K+ more expensive in SL wtf)

And yesterday there were brand new RX 580 8GB cards for $230 for sale. (Less than half the current SL price)

And my question is, why all those perfectly synced (during the inflation) Sri Lankan shops, still selling those cards at a way higher price like we are still living in March?  (N) (N)

This is neither first nor the last time. Try to buy from US online stores. Because it still way cheaper even with that additional 3 year warranty and shipping cost than buying from sri lankan greedy stores.

Btw, GPUs aren't the only overpriced stuff.

Update: EVGA just reduced their GTX1080 FTW price to $450. (Duck me, that's cheaper than RX580 in SL) Now available on EVGA's official eBay store. https://ebay.to/2LAkhfh
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:17:25 am by INSANITY »

i5 SANDY || Gigabyte GTX 1060 Mini OCed @1806Mhz Base || RipjawsX 1600Mhz 8GB || Gigabyte Z68P || 850 EVO 120GB || CAVIAR GREEN 2TB || FSP500-60APN PSU || AOC 23" 3D LED MONITOR || BLOODY V2M MOUSE || SUPERLUX HD668B || 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM ||
Re: ARE SRI LANKAN COMPUTER STORES RIPPING OFF CUSTOMERS?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 12:20:13 am »
Yes this is completely true. They are maintaining a monopoly here in SL ( redline, nanotek, barclays ) as they are the well trusted and well known stores. Actually I have seen some places sell GPU stuff with warranty in ikman.lk like 10-15% lower rates compared to redline or nanotek but who knows their after service.
Maintenaning a good after sales or reputation is not an excuse to sell items at above msrp
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:06:28 pm »
lol. for the past 5 years i have been avoiding all SL sellers including the "shops" when it comes to GPU's. i get only EVGA cos they a good international customer support. so i got my GTX 670 for about 10k less than what it would be selling in here and same was true for my next card GTX  970. the risk that i took is that there is no local warranty and in case of h/w fault i need to ship the card. so far it has been in favor of me. (Y) so my suggestion is that if you are going for the top end cards in either Red team or Green team get it from Amazon, ebay etc and just make sure that the brand you get have international warranty for 3 or more years. but for the rest i say get it locally specially you CPU and mobo. SSD's , gaming mouse gaming keyboards , headsets , are situational and need to check the local market before going for online shops. mid range to low range GPU's well again check local and the online shops and then decide.
i7 4770, EVGA GTX 970, 2Gb*4 DDR3 ram, Creative X-fi fatality champion pro sound card, Asus Z97-PRO GAMER , WD 1TB HD, OCZ agility3 90Gb SSD, OCZ Arc 100 240gb SSD, cooler master elite 430 enclosure, Logitech Z5500 sound system, Samsung TOC 24" LCD,Corsair STRAFE RGB MX RED key board, Logitec G502 protius core mouse.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:08:37 pm »
I only bought a couple of GPUs, couple of HDDs, a Monitor and RAMs from SL because those products tend to go bad earlier than the rest of the stuff (and I was correct, Not the Rams though. Bought them from Techzone bcoz they were almost the same price in SL because of the shipping cost). Everything else is from eBay, B&H and Aliex. Only for our office and for friends I bought stuff from shops in unity and MC :3 . I Recommend B&H for buying SSDs and Processors because their shipping is cheaper than Amazon most of the time. :D  Processors, SSDs rarely go bad. Hell, I never even burned a Processor. In my current rig, HDD, RAM and the Monitor are the only stuff I bought from SL. And also I have never bought a mobile phone from a sri lankan seller, Always eBay. and Ali. Last year eBay started this Import tax thing  :no: for US sellers, so I didn't buy anything from eBay US sellers since then.

when it comes to GPU's. i get only EVGA cos they a good international customer support
I am gonna take your word for it I guess. I was afraid to buys GPUs that costs over 50K from those websites (Bought 1060 3GB for 35K from eBay :D). I will take the leap then. Reserved a GTX 1070 from RL many months ago and I was stuck between should I get it or get a 1080 online or wait for 1170. I don't know if i can cancel the reservation. If I can cancel the reservation and get my money back, I will definitely buy a EVGA GPU then.  ;D ;D  Why pay more for the same damn thing.

i5 SANDY || Gigabyte GTX 1060 Mini OCed @1806Mhz Base || RipjawsX 1600Mhz 8GB || Gigabyte Z68P || 850 EVO 120GB || CAVIAR GREEN 2TB || FSP500-60APN PSU || AOC 23" 3D LED MONITOR || BLOODY V2M MOUSE || SUPERLUX HD668B || 5.1 HOME THEATER SYSTEM ||
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:56:43 pm »
please not that there is a huge issue in ebay atm regarding GPU's. lot of scammers have infiltrated legit gold accounts accounts and trying to rip people off. i suggest that you look at other sites such as Amazone, newegg etc.

if you can please wait till the next xx70 and xx80 get released. i'm waiting for them and most probably will get the next gen xx70 in this September(release dates) /November(black Friday and cyber Monday deals) or December (Christmas sales) :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:59:44 pm by csm1o1 »
i7 4770, EVGA GTX 970, 2Gb*4 DDR3 ram, Creative X-fi fatality champion pro sound card, Asus Z97-PRO GAMER , WD 1TB HD, OCZ agility3 90Gb SSD, OCZ Arc 100 240gb SSD, cooler master elite 430 enclosure, Logitech Z5500 sound system, Samsung TOC 24" LCD,Corsair STRAFE RGB MX RED key board, Logitec G502 protius core mouse.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 10:54:02 pm »
i suggest that you look at other sites such as Amazone, newegg etc.

Definitely bro. I will wait for next gen and will buy it from Amazon or b&h.
Btw, Nvidia just started giving out free SSD when you buy a GTX 1060 or 1050ti. 250GB for GTX1060.
What a nice country we are living in.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:56:48 pm by INSANITY »