SLIIT vs IIT vs NSBM : Computer Degrees help
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:30:45 am »
Got my AL results today. Did Maths. Dont ask what they are, lets just say i was expecting 2As and a B and what I got was a complete f***-up. I do have the minimum to enter the above 3 though. Im planning to do somethibg along the lines of computer science/computer systems and networking. Ive researched all, and all of them have what I want to do. However, which of the 3 would you recommend, and why?

Offline sk

• I love Gamer.LK :)
    • View Profile
Re: SLIIT vs IIT vs NSBM : Computer Degrees help
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:25:56 am »
I am a student at NSBM and currently doing my final year in computer security degree and first thing i should mention is we almost haven't learnt any computer security yet! what NSBM do is they put all software, network and security ppl together until final year. looking at the past 2 years we have learnt mainly programming, had 1 network subject and in final year so far we learnt 1 subject related to security. I personally hate programming but there has been no way to get around it as u must do the subject and pass no matter to proceed. Its been a rough and stressful years and very eagerly waiting till this ends to get the hell out of here. If u like to do a programming degree this might be ok to u. i have a friend abroad who does a computer security degree and them being at first year they have started kali linux and some encryption subjects. sometimes he asks questions about those and i be like  :no: . kinda ashamed being at final year and not knowing those. Then there are the lecturers, so far we have had only 1 good lecturer from inside nsbm and another external lecturer came from jayewardenepura university for practicals. they were the only ones who taught the subject in a way so that u will be enthusiastic about it. don't know if this is the same in other places, but this is how it happened for us.

I say u come to NSBM and talk to them about what u like to learn and see if it is getting covered in the degree. some subjects have changed for the new batches. And do not fall to their marketing smooth talk. When u come in they be like, we are here to support u. But after the first six months and new batch walks in they be like "who the f*** r u". See what other places have to offer. And btw, u said u f****d up some subjects? NSBM requires 3 passes. if u dont have, they will ask u to do a thing called foundation course which is 1 year long. or else there's another part time course that goes along with first year they have called certificate program. Good luck.

Offline asrock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 04:30:13 pm »
^ Sadly this is true. There is not much of a difference in these degrees, you go in to be a security expert but you come out as a regular programmer who doesn't know a jack shit about networks or security. I have heard a few horror stories like this. Anyway if its a general IT degree I would prefer SLIIT or NSBM, NSBM has more facilities than SLIIT but I think a degree from SLIIT is more recognized here in SL.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:55:44 pm »
well thanks guys. After researching and getting to know more about the programmes offered here in SL, (thanks mainly to @ashraffaa ), I chose Bsc. in Computer Science. SLIIT doesnt offer it, IIT does - but havent had much reviews from IIT so skipping that. NSBM is fairly new, but Ive heard a LOT of negative reviews about NSBM for now, so skipping that too.
Found something almost tailor made for me at KDU, so will probably be heading over there. Thanks guys :)

Offline asrock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 07:24:06 pm »
Didn't know KDU is doing IT degrees. Anyway good luck mate!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 11:01:07 pm »
well thanks guys. After researching and getting to know more about the programmes offered here in SL, (thanks mainly to @ashraffaa ), I chose Bsc. in Computer Science. SLIIT doesnt offer it, IIT does - but havent had much reviews from IIT so skipping that. NSBM is fairly new, but Ive heard a LOT of negative reviews about NSBM for now, so skipping that too.
Found something almost tailor made for me at KDU, so will probably be heading over there. Thanks guys :)

Happy that I could help Machan, I am currently doing my Foundation program at Cicra campus because I fuc*ed up my ALs. By far it has been a really good experience and the lecturers are really good. Once I finish this Foundation they will directly transfer me to the B.Sc. in Cyber Security awarded by Deakin University, Australia. I am going to trust them with maintaining the same quality of Lecturers in the degree program also. If you're interested and want to join give me a call.
Dell XPS 15 9560 | Logitech MX Master 2S | Galaxy S8+
I've been crazy about building PCs all my teenage life. The time has come to let that expensive habit go.
2010-2017
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 02:07:14 pm »
Hello

I am professional in management. But when it comes to degrees in this country it is of course a shame. Apart from government universities, all other private universities are a joke. I am from one of those too but that is the reality. What I would strongly suggest is to do external degree from government university. If it is not viable for you eventhough cost is low, I suggest you to do either of this.

Find a degree of your interest area from world renowned high ranked universities and check if you can do that program in "distance learning" method or like 2+2 affiliate method by staying inside Srilanka.

Or else please go to that country from the begining and do the degree there.

I know both above two methods are costly. But it will be worth it. I promise you.

If you need any career advice. Contact me via facebook. Look me up as Yasith Weerasinghe.

Thank you

Offline Kando

• Life tip : You don't need fun to have alcohol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 08:25:30 pm »
Is there a reason you haven't considered APIIT?

I would say rankings wise it would be IIT > APIIT > NSBM > SLIIT

R.I.P Christina Grimmie, March 12th 1994 - June 10th 2016
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 12:50:29 pm »
First of all I must say, don't expect any of the universities to feed what you want to learn with a spoon. Learning does not work that way. The sooner you get that hard coded into your brain, the better because you have the most critical years of your life coming up ahead. And learning + experience is the best investment you could do for your future. Up to now you haven't had the chance to gain experience, so I highly recommend you focus on that and that'll eventually drive your desire for learning and what to learn. Wanna learn basics of networking? Just throw a freaking LAN party.

I studied at SLIIT, '06 batch. I'm employed at one of the top IT companies in SL as an Associate Tech Lead now. Nothing I do today is related to anything I learned at SLIIT. And I'm no longer interested in anything I learned at SLIIT. Why? we're in the ICT sector and that changes so rapidly none of the universities will keep up.

The most valuable thing I learned at SLIIT is that the best thing you can get out of university is the exposure. There are so many resources available to you, library, colleagues, lecturers, workshops etc. Use these resources to know what's out there and take your chances in each. Each time you take a chance, that's experience you're gaining, the more experience you gain the more you learn specifics and eventually you'll know exactly what you want to do by the time you get out. I will not comment on specific subjects but whatever the crap they teach, just learn it. [bold]IF[/bold] you think it's worth your time and get a good transcript by the end of your education.

Lastly, many top companies now hire on recommendation basis. This is becoming a trend because it is proven after many years or statistics that people hired through recommendations are far more likely to fit organization cultures and perform well. I interview people at my place and I never care about their educational qualifications. I don't even bother asking. It all boils down to 'here's my problem, now how are you gonna fix it?'. As long as you can answer that and excel, it really does not matter where you got your educational qualifications.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 06:31:44 am »
^^^ I'm very much surprised but I think you got the best answer up here. In the industry tech changes so rapidly. No syllabus is able to hold up and none wants to do that either.

What you can get from the universities & institutes is the very basics of everything and build up your own expertise on them.

However I think what you are asking is which is better reputed  ? While you should learn is up to yourself as mentioned previously, people might judge you by the institute you studied.

But most companies in the IT industry does not carry this practice anymore, if they do I find it a bit of a poor practice. They hardly ask your GPA or anything. Because in the end you'll find yourself doing something completely different from what you learned, as xeroleve..(can't remember the name to type  :P ) mentioned perfectly.

Btw, opinion from University of Colombo  (Y)

Offline EGS

• For the Best Support Service Call EGS
    • View Profile
    • EGS Website
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 08:48:22 am »
I am really impressed with the answers given by Maximum50 n xearonsklavesky . Both r to the point n the best.

Finding the worlds best Uni or the best Institution in SL either Uni or one like SLIIT is not enough. You need 2 do your own research. For that the Best is, one called Google. You will not get anything better than that to learn.

Today nothing is spoonfed everything is based on what u can grasp n use it at the correct place. So if a lectrur can put it in the best way he is the best one to help u.

Also what xearonsklavesky said about recruitment too is perfect.
E-Globe Solutions Pvt Ltd., 87 5th Lane, Colombo 3. Tel : 0777-802534 / 4795632 / 4718517
For Branded Desktop / Laptop & EGS PC, Gaming Needs from Power Supply, Chassis, VGA cards to PC Accessories, UPS, Printers, NUC & Many More
www.eglobe.lk  www.fb.com/egs.lk

Offline Droo

• git gud or git rekt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 11:02:48 am »

I'm currently at 1st year doing BSc in Computer Science at IIT. My plan is to do Game Development module in 2nd year. That's the main reason why I joined IIT. No other universities in SL seem to offer this module. So far, I will give you my review about IIT. The place is small, which is kinda a let down. But the crowd in it is really good. The lecturers are fine. Just like others said, most of the stuff you got to do by your own, as in using Google and researching. I would definitely go to NSBM Green University if it had the same reputation as IIT and did provide Game Development, because it's freaking beautiful and large. But nah, I guess I will spend the rest of the 4 years at IIT.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »
My plan is to do Game Development module in 2nd year. That's the main reason why I joined IIT.

Back when I was in the university I didn't have much of a choice in terms of learning game development. So I cut many lectures, spent time in labs on this site http://nehe.gamedev.net/.

One of the main things I have noticed is most people who get into game development nowadays start with some tool, like Unity. In my opinion this is bad. I'm quite sure you will not learn much apart from a specific tool like that. Spend sometime on the site I linked. It'll do you good.